• Register Today It's free!

rear axle seals

caperx

Reaction score
City, State
Mantorville MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I need to do the rear axle seal in the X,has anyone out there do this,how hard would this be for someone with pretty mechanical skills,but short on time and would there be any special tools needed??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove tires, remove drums, pull the diff cover, pull the bolt that holds in the center pin, push in your axles as far as you can c-clips will fall out or you may have to flip them out with a pick or a small screwdriver and remove axles. remove seals on end of housing tube install new ones. reinstall axle shafts, c-clips, cross pin, bolt for cross pin, cover, fill with fluid and additive if needed, install drums and wheels, you are done

^^ yep haha

heres some pictures

Start by removing the differential cover. Make sure you got some kinda pan underneith the axle, gear oil is going to go everywhere. Once you get this far, spin the carrier around until you see the Cross shaft bolt shown here...
mainpinbolt.jpg

I forget the size of the bolt, but it was one of the smallest wrenches in my wrench set =). Be careful when loosing that particular bolt! Its a tiny booger, and can break easily. Try heating up around the carrier around the bolt before you dig into it, breaking it SUCKS.

mainpinremoval.jpg

With the cross shaft removed the C-Clip port should be in view, Push in one of the axles and remove the C-Clip. Use needle nosed pliers or just your hands to pull the C-clips out. Pull out the axle shafts and being careful not to nick the seal, but in your case you are replacing them... Do it for both sides.

hey thats great,thanks alot,it don't look to be that hard.

I have a 2000 exoplorer 4.0 sohc. I had the rear pinion seal fixed and the dealership told me that my rear wheel seals were leaking. I have been hearing w whinning noise from them and think it is about due. I know it isn't that difficult to repair them, but my question is are they part of the hub assmbly? Can I just replace the hub? If not then what is the easiest way to replace the seals. I have to both sides and I need pics to help me. Thanks.

Back