• Register Today It's free!

Rear Ball Joints 2003 16" Wheels

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Hearing the heavy "popping" noises" coming from the rear suspension like I had from the front. Replaced the lower ball joints up front and the noise went away. Looking at these rears, it doesn't seem like an easy job for either the upper or lower joint. Does anyone have any experience changing these out and can you offer any tips or advice?

I do not want to pay the $350 for the loaded rear knuckles unless it's absolutely necessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently had an issue with the right rear wheel bearing. Luckily, I let the Ford Dealer do it. They couldn't press out the old bearing so they replaced the hub and put a new bearing on. While they were at it, they damaged the upper ball joint. And they said they would have to go after market parts for a new ball joint. I don't know who they got it from, but they are available -- maybe Napa Auto Parts, or O'Reillys and you could borrow their tools you might need to get the old one out, or Rock Auto. I was watching as they were trying to remove the assembly, and the guy called over several different mechanics to help him get it apart. Good luck with it.

Hearing the heavy "popping" noises" coming from the rear suspension like I had from the front. Replaced the lower ball joints up front and the noise went away. Looking at these rears, it doesn't seem like an easy job for either the upper or lower joint. Does anyone have any experience changing these out and can you offer any tips or advice?

I do not want to pay the $350 for the loaded rear knuckles unless it's absolutely necessary.
There isn't a rear lower ball joint. Buying the loaded knuckles will give new wheel bearing, wheel hub, and parking brake assembly. I payed $65 apiece from rock auto. You do have an upper ball joint and a tie rod end. Best to replace both when doing the knuckles and really easy to do, just a couple more nuts and bolts. Plus you get new pinch bolt with the control arm reusing the old one isn't a good idea.

There isn't a rear lower ball joint. Buying the loaded knuckles will give new wheel bearing, wheel hub, and parking brake assembly. I payed $65 apiece from rock auto. You do have an upper ball joint and a tie rod end. Best to replace both when doing the knuckles and really easy to do, just a couple more nuts and bolts. Plus you get new pinch bolt with the control arm reusing the old one isn't a good idea.

$65???!!! Do you have a direct link to what you bought? I haven't seen the whole knuckle assembly for under $350!!!!

Yes, that is an amazing price.

Back