• Register Today It's free!

Rear bearing assy replacment

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
on 02 exploder hads a BAD wheel bearing on the pass side by the wheel - i can buy the bearing assy from ford for 215.00 , can anyone tell me the procedures or do i need to take it to ford - it will cost 520.00 parts and labor to replace , and the axle seal on the driverside of the differential is leaking bad i know i have to remove the axle assy - should i take this to for as well parts and labor 225.00 - i would like to save money ,, thx all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

is it solid axle or that IRS stuff?

if its a solid axle, you are going to need a special tool called a slide-hammer

You will have to open up the differential cover, so you can remove the C-clips on the axles. Its not a difficult task at all, it can just get very hairy. Mainly because when you get the cover off, you have to remove 1 more bolt inside of the housing. The cross shaft bolt, its a pain because it's notorious for breaking. What i did which helped me was to use a little propane torch (advanced auto sells em for 20 bucks) and heated up the carrier around the bolt.

That is the cross shaft bolt. Shown here...

mainpinbolt.jpg

Once you remove that bolt, you can remove the cross shaft (main pin)...

mainpinremoval.jpg

Once that pin/cross shaft is removed, you can take off the c-clips (they are at the very end of the axle shaft, right there in the midle of the side gears). You will need some needlenose plyers or a couple good screw drivers. But they will come out.

Pull the axle shafts out and you should see the wheel bearing seal and bearing chillin there. Grab a pry-bar and peal the seals out. Once you expose the bearing, i would recommend just trashing the bearing by ripping out the little bearings themselves with a screw driver. Once you have done that you should have the race of the bearing exposed. This is where your slide hammer comes in the play. Put it in there and start smaking away.

It was like 3 days after I bought my 202 I had to replace the rear hub assembly one of the bearings blew up.

Ford did it here locally and it cost $389.00 parts and labor..took ablot 4 hours total..
it is a long process. and i know by watching them not omethiong i would have even tackled myself...

Sorry its independant rear suspension 2002 explorer XLT ( Suspention on my vehicle ) im gonna let ford do it anyway

that is what i am talking about the hub at the wheel end,

Back