• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bearing Hub Assembly

Bruce Brown

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have an '02 explorer XLS with a bad right rear bearing. I want to buy to complete hub assembly like this (Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer Rear Driver & Passenger Side 2 Piece Suspension Knuckle Assembly Kit with Steering Knuckle TRQ BHA34201) The issue is all of these I find say Built After 3/04/02 my explorer was built prior (I bought it in Oct '01). After some research it seems the trailing arm was changed from 15mm to 17mm. Since the arms are relatively inexpensive can I just change the arm to 17mm and use the new hub assembly or is there anything else different? I want to use the assembly as it has lot of new parts and there is no need for a press to install, I know if is a fair bit more cost.

Apparently replacing the hub bearing alone on these things is a pain in the butt. My mechanic will only do the entire knuckle because of it, basically for the same reasons you mention and it's what I plan on doing when it's time. Good luck with the training arm thing unfortunately I have no idea if it will work.

The listings on Rock Auto state "Knuckle is 17 mm. Need to use 523-007 17 mm Toe Link if replacing older version of knuckle."

This implies to me that they are interchangeable. All info I found, suggests they are and the only issue is the one you're facing, which build date knuckle it is, and as mentioned below, which wheel size.

On Rock Auto, they also call the toe link, the lateral arm.

I also saw someone mention for the aftermarket with the grease jerk, "You'll need to cut the head off the grease plug if you have 16" wheels. Cutoff wheel on a dremel works best, grinder is probably ok too.", though personally, if that jerk just unscrews, then I'd rather replace with a shorter one, instead of cutting it, or remove it and put a plug in the hole instead. I don't know where to find the little plastic plugs like the ones that came in some ball joints I've bought for other vehicles, might be as easy to take a bolt and cut it down short instead, IF you need to go that route, or some place like McMaster-Carr probably has shorter zerks.

Rock Auto or Amazon might have the best price on the lateral arms. I usually find parts cheaper at either of those than at 1AAuto.

Back