Wheel bearing/hub assembly | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearing/hub assembly

It is not worth using a used hub. I have a spare hub for emergencies since I wheel and don't want a broken hub at the worst time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hub from Ford is $200 new, if you can get the good price. Ebay has a few off brands new for a little over $100. I will be doing my right side+ axle soon also.

That center hub nut should be very very tight. The toque specs are over 150 lbs.ft. Basically tighten it as much as you can. Most people cannot break it. I have a friend who can. We bent a few breaker bars including helper poles, trying to remove a Taurus SHO crank bolt. We ended up using a torch to heat and loosen it.

Don't pull the axle out when the nut is loose, try to keep it in all the way, and almost level. The CV joint can be damaged if the axle is bent too much at the joint. Good luck,

Success!!! I was able to puchase the hub/bearing assembly new for just over $200 (I went to some wreckers and saw some old rusty ones for $100-125, and thought new was the better choice, especially for a key part like this. I'll save the wreckers for body parts and switches). A mechanic friend from work helped me with the installation, and all is well again. My sincere thanks to all who offered advice, and information. This forum is an excellent resource for Explorer repairs. :)

Glad it all worked out! :thumbsup: As a warning, one of the big things that kills the front bearings is water. So try not to dip the front wheel into deep water (water thats at about as high as half the height of the tire).

Back