Rear brake replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear brake replacement?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 2002 sat a long time and the rear rotors rusted and ruined the pads. I now need to replace the rotors and pads.

Anything I should know before starting this work? Any special tools needed? Are there any other small parts I should order besides the rotors and pads like clips, etc.? I'd like to have everything on hand before starting.

I usually buy through RockAuto, they have several choices for pads and rotors, any recommendations on which will last the longest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to pick up a set of parking brake shoes. I think it is fairly common for them to fall apart, especially if it has been sitting for a while. I would buy them locally so you can take them back if you don't need them.

You shouldn't need any special tools, although a set of drum brake tools may make the parking brake easier if you have to do that.

x2, Be prepared to change parking brake shoes--I've had real good luck with Wagner Thermo Quiet Pads--70k out of the last set--

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My 2002 sat a long time and the rear rotors rusted and ruined the pads. I now need to replace the rotors and pads.

Anything I should know before starting this work? Any special tools needed? Are there any other small parts I should order besides the rotors and pads like clips, etc.? I'd like to have everything on hand before starting.

I usually buy through RockAuto, they have several choices for pads and rotors, any recommendations on which will last the longest?
>>>>>>>>>>>>

RR,

I just did the rear brakes and rotors on my 05 Ex a month and a half ago. You can expect a lot of rust on the inside portion of the rear rotors where they touch the Parking brake shoes. You may also encounter a raised "Lip" on the outer edge of the rotors parking brake area which can catch on the parking brake shoes as you try to pull off the rotors. You may need to pry off the rotors like I did. I used a solid steel, 2 1/2ft long rounded pry bar to force my rotors off. Make sure you pry against a solid surface, so not to damage anything like the backing plate etc. I pried against the heavy steel bracket that holds the brake caliper and worked my way around the rotor from different angles till it broke loose. Took me about 30 minutes on one side and 10 mins on the other to remove the rotors because of the lip on the rotors edge. You may want spray." PB BLaster" through the wheel stud holes on the rotors prior to removing, just in case they are rusted to the stud hub. Also, buy a can of "Brake Cleaner" to spray off the rust-dust and other debris after you removed everything and I also used a drill with a wire wheel attached to remove any stubborn rusted spots. I did not have to change my parking brake shoes ATT, they can be a pain to do. You can also take a 2 or 3lb hammer to tap around the rotor prior to removal to help loosen any rusted areas. If you have to replace the parking brake shoes, I would use "anti-seize" lubricant on the threads to the "star wheel" adjustment threads, so they don't seize up in the future and can be adjusted when needed. Don't forget to remove and grease up the brake "Caliper Bolt Pins" and use anti-seize on the "Caliper bolts" themselves. I use anti-seize on all of my wheel studs as well. The rear brake pads come apart easily, no special tools needed or clips. The clips should be factory installed (riveted) on the new set of pads. I see you buy your parts from Rock Auto, but you can get a good deal at Advance Auto Parts if you have one of their stores near you. They have online coupons you can get from "Coupon Cabin.com". I paid $73.00 total, tax incl at Advance Auto, to buy my 2-rear rotors and set of brake pads using a $40 off coupon I got from Coupon Cabin. They have various coupons you can use depending on how much you order costs. Mine was a $40 off coupon on an order over a $100. You can place seperate orders using multiple coupons as well. You just order online through Advance Auto, type in the coupon code you got from Coupon Cabin and submit order, then pick the parts up at your local store. Usually you can pick up your order within an hour of placing it online as long as it is a part that they have in stock at the store. Advance Auto's web site will tell you if the part is in stock when you order. Sorry about the long post, just wanted to give you as much info to help you as possible.

Thanks guys, especially Exproblems. Will check out the advance Auto parts and let you know how it goes. thanks for all the tips too, I'm sure they will come in handy.

Rob

Back