• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Mod

jasonf83

Reaction score
City, State
Newnan GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I made my stock rear bumper look similer to a roll pan. Me annd jbhill just took a sawzaw to alot of metal and its kinda similer to a roll pan. it was not as easy as it looks there is alot of cutting involved and i had to get a smaller spare tire.

http://jasonf.20megsfree.com/photo2.html

the botom 2 pics are the only one with the shorter bumper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

c'mon man, we thought you were gonna do a write-up. we've already seen the pics, now tell us how to do it. lol
BTW- im gonna do a mod similar to this, but im gonna do something alittle different... any tips/tricks or anything you would do different?

i wouldent do annything diffrent it is just not areal quick or easy job it took us like 4 hours but we also had a test bumper so that way we wouldent screw up the good one. have alot od cutting discs or sawzaw blades bcause there is alot of cutting like a brace from frame to frame, plus be shure to have a smaller spare tire. good luck.

nice amp, you got the 7011dx, or the 5011dx, i have the latter..... nice bumper too.

hmm. i can't decide if I like it. It looks almost like it was just smooshed inside the truck. hmmmmmm. I can tell a lot of work went into it tho! good job! :D

How did you do that?? Did you take off the bumper and remove 4 inches of the frame and then weld it back together to use the same mounts, and then remove 4 inches from the inner surface of the bumper??

Thanks
Chris

I like the idea and i think i will do this mod to my X, but i plan on welding it to the rear splash gaurds to make it look a little more like a roll pan. :cool:

Originally posted by explorersvt
I like the idea and i think i will do this mod to my X, but i plan on welding it to the rear splash gaurds to make it look a little more like a roll pan. :cool:

The rear splash guards are plastic covered with a chrome paint. If you heat the chrome off you will see they are nothing more than plastic pieces.
If you could do that I wouldnt hesitate a second to do it.

Chris

i'm all about the "free" mods, and it looks cool, wish i knew exactly how you did it though.....

Originally posted by rokke17
The rear splash guards are plastic covered with a chrome paint. If you heat the chrome off you will see they are nothing more than plastic pieces.
If you could do that I wouldnt hesitate a second to do it.
yup, they are plastic. if you figure out how to weld steel to plastic, let me know.:p

BTW, if you wanna get rid of the chrome on them, here is the Dead Link Removed

my bad

Sorry, i was mistaken, i tested the splashgaurds with a little pen mag and the chrome must have been enough for it to stick to. Well plan B is to sculpt the cut part of of the bumper and bolt it to the splash gaurds to create a small and neat seam. Oh well good thought though. Thanks for the info, i would have felt pretty stupid trying to figure out why it wouldn't arc.:mad: :confused:

hmm.. i'm not a sport truck guy.. but i was thinking about doing something similar to improve my departure angle. maybe not quite that drastic.. but thanks for reminding me to get on the ball!

Originally posted by jasonb
hmm.. i'm not a sport truck guy.. but i was thinking about doing something similar to improve my departure angle. maybe not quite that drastic.. but thanks for reminding me to get on the ball!
If you put the bumper under the tail gate like that, wont you run the risk of pushing it up into the tail gate if you land on something while wheeling? It doesnt take a major impact to bend the bumper up or down. I suppose you could reinforce it a lot.

not if the bumper was cut so it wasn't up under the tailgate. actually.. id make a whole new bumper before i did that. i have a trailer hitch under there also. that takes all the hits. well.. most of them.

i want to do this soo bad, any more info on how....just make the bumper "thinner" then modify the brackets?

exactly what i was looking for.
I know i wouldnt be able to this on my own
so i will have to take it to a shop to do this for me. but it looks great in my eyes. just how i was hoping it would. :thumbsup:

And even though this thread is real old (like a majority of the helpful threads here)
i think it deserves a bump for anyone else interested in this mod who forget that the search function is their friend. :p:

After looking at the pic dump site..at the original photos. This shouldn't be that difficult. Going to pull off my rear bumper Sunday and look in to it.
I promise to document it if I decide to actually do it.
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back