Rear Bumper Protectors | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Protectors

I need to get one of these to cover the missing pieces of the bumber. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture of where the extra material was. It was perpendicular to the lip, right on the edge. If it was consistent across the entire length I would have left it alone, but on one side it was almost flush to the lip and graduated out across the length to about 1/16".

RED LINE
IMG_1597B.jpg

trimming the extra material doesn't seem like a big deal, just kinda wish the manufacturer would have tight enough tolerances the user wouldn't have to do it. No biggie though since this cover is still much better than other offerings.

Thanks for your detailed writeup about it!!

Nice pictures. I def want to order one now.

Mine arrived this week too, easy install and it looks great. Several weeks between order and delivery though.

Man I really like the overhang....too bad it was 4 months ago I could have used this one. Instead installed the OEM one and it has served its purpose but also breaks up the all white look out back and blends in with the lower black portion of the Ex.

I had put on the OEM a while back and just got in the BMC yesterday and am in the process of installing it. If you have the OEM installed, other than taking some muscle to remove it, you'll need a good amount of Goo-Off or similar. The OEM is much deeper (inside to outside) and about 4-5 inches wider. When you pull off the OEM, you will likely leave a good deal of residue which will have to be removed or it will be visible with the BMC.

All this said, having owned both, I would recommend the BMC hands down because of that lip. My OEM did great, BUT, I had a lot of nicks at the edge of the bumper that will now be covered by the new BMC.

One last thing. I wish someone would try out the Nissan Murano bumper protector on their car! It is a nice looking chromed bumper cover. I think it might fit but just am not sure yet.

trimming the extra material doesn't seem like a big deal, just kinda wish the manufacturer would have tight enough tolerances the user wouldn't have to do it. No biggie though since this cover is still much better than other offerings.

Thanks for your detailed writeup about it!!

The one I received from BMC at the end of February did not have the same flaws as the one received by cnsheets. The adhesive tape was properly installed with no overhang, and the edge was uniform and did not need to be trimmed.

Interesting. My bumper cover came in and the taping was perfect, no extra anywhere. The edges however, on the back end of the bumper section were a little pushed outward, away from the car, so an xacto knife had to be used to remedy that situation.

Overall, however, I am very, very pleased with the product and find though slightly smaller in width then the Ford bumper project, it is definitely superior. It is worth the cost, even if it means yanking off your old Ford cover and throwing it away.

I have placed my order for the cover and really hoping it shows up before I need to load the clubs too many more times. I keep getting nervous my cart bag is going to hit the bumper or drag something across and leave a mark.

Well, depending where it leaves a mark, it won't be a big deal as you'll have your cover!!

I actually liked the Ford cover, it went wider, and worked, but it did not come down and go over the back edge which is the likely spot that you would hit and mess up the paint - something I did. The cover went right over it so that's that and it looks like it was always made to be there.

I ordered one of these yesterday. Just got notification that it has shipped. Looking forward to not having to worry about loading and unloading big items and damaging the paint. Also ordered a Weathertech mat for the cargo area.

BMC Bumper Guard

I received mine today. The curve is a little off, when the center of lip is flush, the ends are about a 1/4 inch away from bumper. It will take some heat and/or mod to get it to fit right. When I push the ends flush against the bumper, the center flat part bows up. Was surprised it was hard plastic, as previously stated. Still seems like it will be slippery. I am going to rubber coat it first. Mine does have a little bit of a small edge/lip at the bottom of the lip, but it is uniform along the whole lenght, perhaps a millimeter, and up the side of the lip. Seems to be on purpose.

What is everyone paying for these bumper covers?

Does anyone have any discount codes from BMC?

Think I will be grabbing one of these...I was just about to order the OEM one, and came across several threads.

I ordered one from BMC and it was a snap to install. Looks good and I am happy to have the rear bumper protected.

My quick review

I also ordered the bumper cover as well. With shipping it was a little over $80.

Quite frankly for a piece of molded plastic I would have expected better. I had the same issue as posted before with the excess plastic on the edge. It was flush on the left side and gradually extended to about 1/8th" on the right. There are also little gaps on the bottom of the edge where the plastic didn't fill in the mold.

I ended up using a small had planer to trim down the edge. That worked well but left the plastic a slightly lighter color. (sorry for the poor focus)

7078070821_c46d3805f4.jpg

I decided to spray paint the cover and I bought a can or Rustoleum - carbon Mist. It is a metallic paint. I put 2 coats on the cover. It came out looking really nice. The only issue is that in bright sunlight the cover has a hint of brown to it. I don't mind it as I think it looks good with the Tux black paint.

7078071141_ee5a15fd09.jpg

So, in conclusion, I think the quality control is lacking in this bumper cover but with a little effort, you can clean up and improve the product. I certainly thinks its worth the investment to protect the bumper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back