Rear Bumper Tweaker, pictures inside, need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Tweaker, pictures inside, need advice

BrianV

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty 5.0L
Rear Bumper Tweaked, pictures inside, need advice

I want to purchase a 96-98 Explorer for utility purposes. I already own a couple real nice new cars, but want something for the bad weather, home depot, camping, biking, etc.

I really like the Explorer's size and overall offering. I have co-workers that own them and they've been extremely reliable. I also know there are parts everywhere for them, etc. Anyways, I've been looking at Explorers in my area and a few have caught my eye.

I have noticed that A LOT of Explorers have tweaked rear bumpers. All of the owners said they were rear-ended and they didn't fix it since they could still tow and it was only a little cosmetic. This leads me to believe that they maybe kept the insurance money since they realized the repair bill is super high. I don't blame them, I'd probably do the same, but if I buy an Explorer that has rear bumper damage, I want to make sure that discount is being passed down to me.

Anyways, here's a 97 V8 AWD XLT w/ 70k miles I'm looking at. The guy wants KBB retail, which in Texas is unbelivable, but I'm sensing he wants to move the car so hopefully he'll come down. Take a look at the bumper. What would that cost to get fixed; I want to use that as a bargaining chip:

explorerbumper.jpg

PS - I did a quick search on google and on this board and couldn't find anything related to common rear bumper repairs.

Thanks,
BrianV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.. The bumper brackets are probably bent.

Welcome to the forum. It's probably just bent brackets from towing something a little too heavy. I would just get a floor jack, jack the back of the bumper level again, and get a draw-tite hitch to tow with. It should clean up rather well. :cool:

Hmm should I be worried that it towed something too heavy?

He had mentioned it was from being rear-ended and he had a body shop re-enforce it or something. I would think if his story is true that a body shop could've/would've bent it back.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming.

Any time you get bumped from behind, that's the way the brackets are set-up to allow the bumper to move without being smashed into the body. Typically you can just un-bolt the brackets, swing the bumper back up and tighten everything back down. Worst case, you need probably $50 worth or brackets. Not a big deal in my book.

If that's your only hesitation, I'd consider it sold.

-Joe

I did this to mine and I only needed to loosen the bolts and push it back in place. I didn't bend the brackets.

dogfriend said:
I did this to mine and I only needed to loosen the bolts and push it back in place. I didn't bend the brackets.

Exactaly
There is a pretty good amount of slot on those brackets. Even if they are bent ( which is likely ) odds are in your favor you can adjust the bumper to your liking.

Back