Rear Camera Install to Factory Navigation (2010 Sport Trac) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Camera Install to Factory Navigation (2010 Sport Trac)

Hi Ingenuitor.

I don't have pics, but the cameras are simple license plate style and the side camera is a mini round one that I drilled a hole in the side mirror for...here are a couple links:

License Plate Cameras:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077W6R38/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Side Mirror Camera:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-CCD-36...Car-Front-Side-Rear-View-Camera-/111282626517

I used the Lockpick to tie them to the in dash NAV:
http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm
*There is a new version that adds wireless features too:
http://www.coastaletech.com/syncair.htm

All front/rear wires were routed through the frame to a drain hole on the bottom of the passenger's side. I poked a small hole in the rubber grommet to help keep everything sealed. Don't forget to have a couple wire hangars to help pull them through the frame.

The worst part of installation was trying to get the radio back in because of the extra wires and lockpick box...most of that is pushed through an access hole and rests behind the glove box.

Two issues I have experienced...
1. The side camera RCA connection (kept at interior of passenger door) seemed to lose connection...a quick disconnect/reconnect reestablished connection. No issues with it since.
2. I tried to 'return to factory setup' once, but it won't let me...probably since I updated the firmware without returning it to factory setup first.

Works great...have patience, and route wires protected as much as possible. I blocked out a day for install by myself. It didn't take that long though.

Good luck!

Love it, I would just have to paint those screws on the License Plate Camera so it blends in more, otherwise looks great, low profile and not tacky looking. Thanks for sharing. If you have a chance can you snap a few post to a public image site and post here? Love to see the end results installed. Hell I do not even have a truck yet and I'm in mod land lol

Thanks again...

I recently added a rear camera to my OEM nav unit in my '10 STA. I used a high quality license plate camera. OEMAutoParts.com carries a wiring harness that will plug into the OEM head unit and accepts a RCA plug from the camera. I chose the license plate camera over the tailgate emblem because to make room for the camera, the emblem sticks out from the tailgate too far. Your head unit will have to be programmed to operate the camera, I think the dealer can do it, I had OEMAutoParts.com program mine.
I am unable to locate the wiring harness you speak of from OEMAutoParts.com Can you please assist?

So I just ordered this from oemautopartsco.com... Can you provide me with any more information regarding the programming? I don't want to send my whole nav unit to the states because customs will make it a nightmare for me, not to mention the risk of damage or it getting lost.
Can you identify the part # from OEMAutoParts, please?

hi, i am new to this forum but I want to say that I have a 2001 ford explorer sport trak pick up truck and I am the second owner. My sport trak does about 1500 miles a month, since i work out of state and right now it has about 214,000 miles on it. I did have to replace the starter about 2 months ago, BUT, that was the most major expense that I ever put into it. I keep it regularly maintained (oil, transmission, etc.) and my Sport Trak purrs like a kitten on the highway. It has a 15 gallon gas tank and I get over 400 miles on a tank....so you figure it out....MPG. It is a great truck and it looks beautiful; people always compliment it. I love this truck! I have had no problems with it, not with the engine and not with the transmission (I have heard about trans problems, but mine runs like a top) and does excellent highway mileage. I have thought many times of upgrading to something newer, but why fix something if it is not broke? It still gets me all over the USA and has never let me down. I think that I am going to drive this truck till it dies on me, just to brag about how many miles I got out of it. I think I will keep pampering this truck on regular service and see how far it will go to before it finally dies (engine or transmission) and truly, my goal is five hundred thousand miles! I think my little horsey might just do that! If you keep them up, and keep loving them, they will love you too. I am getting ready to start a betting pool about "HOW FAR WILL THIS FORD GO".
SPORT TRAK LOVER
Hi. Did you get a backup camera installed in your SportTrac? Do you still have the truck? Did you by chance ever look into getting blind spot monitoring installed in it?

Back