whitemage25

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Callsign
W5LVN
This is a double posting, I originally posted it in the Off-Road Fabrication Forum but thought it might be of more interest to this forum. How can I remove the original post?

Anyways, this is my first welding project for my X. It is a support cage for a rear cargo storage system. It was inspired by the systems commonly found in the expedition vehicle community. There will be two drawers accessible from the rear. In the front there will be two areas accessible by lift up lids. The driver’s side will house a box for my 8” sub, my amplifier, fuse blocks and a relay box for this. The passenger side will be storage for now but in the future I may use it for a second battery, a power inverter or maybe even a small gun safe like this. The top will be surfaced with marine grade plywood, I am still trying to decide between carpet (great looks) or a non-skid truck bed type coating (durable). The whole cage is very secure and sturdy, I used the existing bolts from the rear seat and added two bolts through the floor at the original tie down points for the rear. It is also removable and light enough to be easily carried by one person.

I will post follow-ups as I get the wood work completed, let me know what you guys think so far. Thanks! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i want to do this too but i might just spend the money on a real one. Looks good so far, are the seats and drawers going to be in the truck at the same time?

No, the rear seats will not be utilized. In the first couple years I owned my X I used the rear seats maybe twice, they have been out for years now and I don't miss them at all. I find I use the space more for cargo than people so that is part of why I designed this system the way I did.

Rear Cargo Storage System

Would love to know if you finished and also if you could post some pics of the finished product!

Back