Rear Climate Control | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Climate Control

Crystal,
Had people in the second row for the first time this winter.
No matter what configuration I used I could not heat for second row floor. The only second row vents I see are on the front sides of the console which I assume are not for heat since Ex's without buckets wouldn't have consoles. Are there second row floor vents? Or is the air suppose to blow forward from third row floor vent?
The manual was no help.
2011 Limited MFT
A diagram of all vents and configurations would be nice. Anyone see one somewhere?

I was curious about your posting so I did some testing. To my surprise, when you select floor on the rear a/c controls, only the 3rd row blows on the floor, nothing for the poor folks in the second row. The only way you can get air to the floor on the second row is to select the floor setting for the front seats, which will then blow air on the feet of the second row passengers. Looks to me that is a setup with roots in a vehicle that didn't have separate second row controls (like a Taurus maybe... ;)).

I think that if Ford went through the trouble of putting in rear climate controls, they should have complete functionality. For those with vehicles that include rear controls, do they behave in the same fashion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being that I'm the only regular occupant of the vehicle, with the odd exception when the dogs are with me, I have never used the climate controls that are in the back of the front row console. I did check under the front and 2nd row seats and found that there are no floor ducts under the 2nd row. When the controls are activated in the console, depending upon your selection, the air comes out of the ceiling vents or from behind the 2nd row which would be the third row floor vents or both, if so selected.
Also, I am able to control the 2nd row/rear climate from the MFT screen. The console does not have to be activated for that.
Peter

Crystal,
No matter what configuration I used I could not heat for second row floor. The only second row vents I see are on the front sides of the console which I assume are not for heat since Ex's without buckets wouldn't have consoles. Are there second row floor vents? Or is the air suppose to blow forward from third row floor vent?
The manual was no help.
2011 Limited MFT
A diagram of all vents and configurations would be nice. Anyone see one somewhere?
As per my post, I looked under the front and 2nd row seats and there vents only under the front seats. None under the 2nd row.

Peter

All I am brand new to this forum as I had a new 2013 Limited Explorer built for me. Right out of the gate I noticed this problem and brought it to the attention of my dealer. Of course they looked at me as if I was crazy. I asked them to check with corporate to see if this is a known issue or if this was by design. Based on this thread, it appears it was be design and probably completely overlooked by the designer.

I can tell you this, my Acura and GMC Acadia allow the driver to control the 2nd and 3rd heating. Everyone is correct in that the Cool air come out of he floor or ceiling, but the heat only comes out of the 2nd row floor when controlled by the driver.

The dealer borrowed be a 2012 Base model (no MFT) and I can control the 2nd row heat from the front...and guess what it came out of the ceiling.

Aside from this design flaw issue, I can tell you I've had other issues like the 3rd memory seat option not keeping it's setting, the leather on the driver seat detaching from the seat, the NAVI creating a whitespace on the map, the Phone disconnecting or no volume control working, the 911 assist notificaiton keep popping up.

I wish I never purchased this car.
Welcome to the Forum dansamaan. :wavey:
I can control the 2nd row/rear climate from the MFT screen on my 2011.

Peter

As per my post, I looked under the front and 2nd row seats and there are no vents for the 2nd row.

Peter

That is odd Peter, as our Ex has vents under the front row seats (nothing under the second row seats). I didn't look for them specifically, but something under the front row seats is capable of blowing a lot of air onto the feet of second row passengers :)

Those vents under the front row seats comes from the front HVAC system and are not controlled by the rear controls. That (rear) system is self-contained in the left rear fender-well and has it's airflow directed to the four ceiling vents only.

That is odd Peter, as our Ex has vents under the front row seats (nothing under the second row seats). I didn't look for them specifically, but something under the front row seats is capable of blowing a lot of air onto the feet of second row passengers :)
You are absolutely correct Vince. I rechecked and this time looked from the front and there are vents. My seat is set back so when I first looked under it from the second row I didn't see it. The view of the vent was blocked by a support bar for the seat but it was very visible when looking under the seat from the front. :eek: Thanks for setting me on the right track. I see there is no 'smiley' for 'embarrassed'.

Peter

Our Border Collie, smarter than many people, and frequent rear passenger; has not expressed any noteworthy concerns about controling his climactic environment. He would certainly let you know if there were any significant issues.....best regards Plum

Crystal,
The manual was no help.
2011 Limited MFT

Hi GWA1,

It looks like your friends on the forum here have already answered your question about the vents, so I'll just jump in here and make sure you don't have any other questions. I tried hunting down a vent configuration diagram but haven't had much luck. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I'll reach out to my technical advisor.

I was curious about your posting so I did some testing. To my surprise, when you select floor on the rear a/c controls, only the 3rd row blows on the floor, nothing for the poor folks in the second row. The only way you can get air to the floor on the second row is to select the floor setting for the front seats, which will then blow air on the feet of the second row passengers...

Those vents under the front row seats comes from the front HVAC system and are not controlled by the rear controls. That (rear) system is self-contained in the left rear fender-well and has it's airflow directed to the four ceiling vents only.

You are absolutely correct Vince. I rechecked and this time looked from the front and there are vents. My seat is set back so when I first looked under it from the second row I didn't see it. The view of the vent was blocked by a support bar for the seat but it was very visible when looking under the seat from the front...

Thanks for all the great info, gang. Looks like it was a group effort for the win this time around. :D

Our Border Collie, smarter than many people, and frequent rear passenger; has not expressed any noteworthy concerns about controling his climactic environment. He would certainly let you know if there were any significant issues.....best regards Plum

Let me know if your Border Collie has any concerns, Plum. I'm happy to help out both our human and our canine friends. :)

Crystal

Does this mean if I have rear climate control off and auto on the front that the second row passengers are still getting heating/cooling?

Does this mean if I have rear climate control off and auto on the front that the second row passengers are still getting heating/cooling?
I just confirmed that with Climate set to ON that YES the 2nd row gets heat and I assume cooling as well. The Auto was OFF. I didn't test it with the Auto ON but I assume it works the same.

Peter

My dad and I went back and forth the other day during a drive in the cold trying to figure this out! Glad I found this thread. It seems like a flaw to me, but at least I know it's working properly.

Hi

we just bought a 2013 XLT Explorer and i found out that my rear climate from the ceiling was not working if i control it from the myfordtouch screen... it works only if i put cold temperature...

i asked to my dealer if its normal and nobody can tell me the truth...

why the ceiling stop working if we put hot temperature from the myfordtouch and works if we control from the 2nd row controls...

its not smart when you have kids at the 2nd row... they dont know much about how to climate properly

Hi

we just bought a 2013 XLT Explorer and i found out that my rear climate from the ceiling was not working if i control it from the myfordtouch screen... it works only if i put cold temperature...

i asked to my dealer if its normal and nobody can tell me the truth...

why the ceiling stop working if we put hot temperature from the myfordtouch and works if we control from the 2nd row controls...

its not smart when you have kids at the 2nd row... they dont know much about how to climate properly
Welcome to the Forum Gepeto.:wavey:
I'm not sure if the XLT works the same as the Limited or not but I can control the rear climate from the MFT screen without having to turn the 2nd row control unit ON. Warm air does come from the roof vents. When in the Climate mode and I press REAR on the bottom right of the MFT screen, a group of additional controls pop up on the bottom of the screen alond with a notice 'Rear Climate On'. I can the control the climate settings for the rear. On the far left of those pop up controls is a touch button that will turn the 2nd row console controls ON or OFF but does not have to be ON for me to control the rear climate.

Peter

same thing in my 2013 XLT...

any offical answer on this glitch
This is a copy of the reply I posted to your concern in the other thread "2012 Rear Climate Control Out?"

I'm not sure if the XLT works the same as the Limited or not but I can control the rear climate from the MFT screen without having to turn the 2nd row control unit ON. Warm air does come from the roof vents. When in the Climate mode and I press REAR on the bottom right of the MFT screen, a group of additional controls pop up on the bottom of the screen alond with a notice 'Rear Climate On'. I can the control the climate settings for the rear. On the far left of those pop up controls is a touch button that will turn the 2nd row console controls ON or OFF but does not have to be ON for me to control the rear climate.

Peter

Peter,

it works like yours... my question is can you have the max hot temperature coming from the ceiling when you control from the MFT?

i can only have 2 stick of hot temperature... if i put more, the ceiling stop...

even the blower from the ceiling is less than if i control them from the the 2nd row console....

Peter,

it works like yours... my question is can you have the max hot temperature coming from the ceiling when you control from the MFT?

i can only have 2 stick of hot temperature... if i put more, the ceiling stop...

even the blower from the ceiling is less than if i control them from the the 2nd row console....
Mine is the same in that after increasing the temp to the third level, the air no longer comes from the ceiling vents. Perhaps it is a safety measure. I don't really find it a problem because with the heat set at the second level, you can still increase the fan to full speed. If I was sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row, I think I would prefer the heat to come from the floor and not from above. But that is just my feeling.
Looks like everything is working as designed whether we like it or not.

Peter

Issue with Rear Heat Controls

Has anyone noticed this?
If I use the front screen to control the Rear Heat- it gets turned on in the 3rd row. If I give the kids the control for the rear heat - it turns on the 2nd row.

This seems like a design flaw- what if I had an infant in the 2nd row I would have to reach back to use the manual knobs in the 2nd row in order to turn the heat on.

Has anyone else noticed this? or is my XLT messed up somehow?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem last winter. Very confusing. Haven't had people in the back this winter. I believe you have to turn auto off in order to control second row heat. Comes out from under front row seats. Guess I'll have to go out this morning and play with to keep my memory fresh.

Back