Short Circuit in Rear Climate Control Fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Short Circuit in Rear Climate Control Fan

CodeWest

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in the MFT forum since I'm unsure where my problem lies.

I appear to have a short somewhere that controls the rear Climate Control fan. I was driving today and suddenly my rear fan turned on HI all by itself. I hit a few bumps in the road and the fan speed would momentarily slow but then resume back to HI. The rear controls were enabled on the MFT so I attempted to manually adjust the fan speed on the back of the console but that changed nothing. I then disabled the rear controls and attempted to adjust the fan speed through MFT and that accomplished nothing. I CAN, however, adjust the temperature for the rear, just not the fan speed. It is just always on HI now.

Since disabling the rear controls doesn't gain me the ability to adjust fan speed, I'm going to assume that the short is not in the wiring going to the rear of the console. That just leaves me with the MFT being the culprit, correct? Or is there another control module (and associated wiring) that I should be checking into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Auxilary AC (rear) controls send information to the main hvac module (behind the button panel). The main HVAC module uses information from the rear control or itself (rear controls locked out) and then sends the signal to the rear blower motor controller (like a blower resistor). I would be willing to bet this rear blower control module (resistor pack) would be the most likely culprit.

Back