Rear Diff Pinion Seal Question...

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So I am tired of laying under my truck every 2 weeks filling the rear diff with oil. SO I am finally replacing the rear diff pinion seal. I am still a little worried about the crush sleeve, but I need to do this. Anyway I go on Rock Auto and see there are many of them ranging in price. So what one do I need? I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD, with an 8.8 Rear Diff....

I believe this is the right one, in the description is says, "Rear Outer; 7.5", 8.8", 8.8" IRS R.G.".

Timken Seal

Thanks for any and all input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe i did it wrong, but if you're only replacing the seal, why replace the crush sleeve? as long as you re-torque the nut to spec, why can't you leave the crush sleeve alone as nothing's changed?

edit: oh, i also make a mark on the nut and on the pinion shaft to make sure i line them up exactly to where they were.

maybe i did it wrong, but if you're only replacing the seal, why replace the crush sleeve? as long as you re-torque the nut to spec, why can't you leave the crush sleeve alone as nothing's changed?

edit: oh, i also make a mark on the nut and on the pinion shaft to make sure i line them up exactly to where they were.

exactly. my pinion seal was leaking as well. just mark the location of the nut and count the turns it takes to take it off. while i was there i also replaced the front pinion bearing. i also took off the pumpkin cover, and replaced the oil. hole-e-crap that stuff stinks!

I am not replacing the crush sleeve, I am just worried about over torquing it. I am not 100% sure about this but I have read to replace the crush sleeve you have to take apart the entire diff.

exactly. my pinion seal was leaking as well. just mark the location of the nut and count the turns it takes to take it off. while i was there i also replaced the front pinion bearing. i also took off the pumpkin cover, and replaced the oil. hole-e-crap that stuff stinks!

This is what I planned to do. If it worked for you, then is should work for me. :D The oil does REALLY stink, especially if you have a Limited Slip, the Friction Modifier smells absolutely horrible

I am not replacing the crush sleeve, I am just worried about over torquing it. I am not 100% sure about this but I have read to replace the crush sleeve you have to take apart the entire diff.

This is what I planned to do. If it worked for you, then is should work for me. :D The oil does REALLY stink, especially if you have a Limited Slip, the Friction Modifier smells absolutely horrible

and the oil the LSD takes is not cheap, and kinda fun to put in. make sure you can take off the fill plug first. clean the area around the fill plug before you take it off also

and the oil the LSD takes is not cheap, and kinda fun to put in. make sure you can take off the fill plug first. clean the area around the fill plug before you take it off also

Oh I know, I have already changed my fluid before. that is how I know the smell..... Back to my original Topic though, is that the correct seal?

Pretty sure you don't have to take apart the diff to replace the crush sleeve. I'd suggest you replace it, I didn't and apparently didn't torque it enough or to much. So I took it to Ford and let them do it. $150ish and I didn't have to smell that crap again :D hasn't leaked either.

Have fun, one of the most frustrating jobs I've done on anything. I think my diff was just PO at me

Pretty sure you don't have to take apart the diff to replace the crush sleeve. I'd suggest you replace it, I didn't and apparently didn't torque it enough or to much. So I took it to Ford and let them do it. $150ish and I didn't have to smell that crap again :D hasn't leaked either.

Have fun, one of the most frustrating jobs I've done on anything. I think my diff was just PO at me

Well I won't let anybody work on my truck, so if it is possible to replace the crush sleeve on my truck without taking the diff apart, then I may do that, but I know I had to of read that in more then one place to believe it...

Well I won't let anybody work on my truck, so if it is possible to replace the crush sleeve on my truck without taking the diff apart, then I may do that, but I know I had to of read that in more then one place to believe it...

Believe me, I'm the same way. But if you had the same experience I did, you'd take it to Ford to :D

Back