Rear Disc Brake WHOOPS! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Disc Brake WHOOPS!

Well, not a real glorious story, but I was backing out of my driveway in low range. We had about 40" of snow at the house a few days before - the worst blizzard Denver has seen in over 90 years! All tires were on snowpack, and I had my parking brake set and didn't realize it. Now normally, taking off with the parking brake set would just stall out the motor, or give serious resistance. However, since I was on snow pack, I believe the rear tires slipped enough. Just let out the clutch and WHAM!

Notice with the axle removed, there the bolts snapped off and the mounting bracket busted in many pieces.

380mvc-010f.jpg

Bent both sides of the axle flange.

380mvc-011f.jpg

Here's the brackets and backing plates after I had everything removed.

380mvc-016f.jpg

Little bits and pieces I found on the driveway.

380mvc-006f.jpg

Special thanks to Joe D. for lending me the pieces to get my truck back. He hadn't done his rear disc conversion yet, so he had all the pieces available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn!!!!!!!

Does that OHV have some torque or what!

Is the rear locked???? L/S isnt it?

hehehehee

I know that snow reaked havok on my brakes, plowing through it all week those discs were getting packed up and performance was poor.....I cleared out the wheels several times....

Was the BRAKE dash indicator illuminated?

My parking brake senor is broken, plastic housing cracked (works sometimes) I wonder if this is a common problem?

Houston we have a problem.

I never thought you could do that. Man thats bad.

Brian

Quality breakage, Brett! :D

Ouch!! That sucks!

Holy Macro!!! I wish i had a parking brake that strong on my Stang, good to know everything was fixable there and then.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Was the BRAKE dash indicator illuminated?

My parking brake senor is broken, plastic housing cracked (works sometimes) I wonder if this is a common problem?

That sounds like a common problem...I have to wiggle mine to get it to work....

That sounds like a common problem...I have to wiggle mine to get it to work....

Sorry to hear about that.:D

Brian

Originally posted by MyExpWork
Sorry to hear about that.:D

Brian

hahahaha

that's the best PB i've ever seen. wanna come and adjust mine? :D

Brett was this parked outside overnight?

If so was it wet? I betcha it froze shut like the fords like to do and when you didn't release it then it just really twisted up. I know when it freezes overnight mine always got stuck even if I released it.

WELL if you know Brett you know he cant just put it back together without going one better.
So he actually performed his SOA conversion while the rear end was apart......this then required more lift in the front to match, that turned out to be a MUCH bigger job, it is done now for the most part, wait until you seen the end result.......................

:)

Back