Rear disc conversion on Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear disc conversion on Sport Trac

Mjwidell

Reaction score
City, State
Machesney Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I've been reading up on rear disc conversions on a variety of vehicles - Mustangs, Explorers, etc. But, my vehicle is a strange breed - a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, which came stock with rear drums. (2003 model year will be rear disc.)

I've found two different types of rear disc assemblies in relation to their parking brake mechanisms. One has a caliper with the parking brake mechanism, and the other a mini "drum". I'm assuming from the posts that I have read that the Explorer has the mini drum-type.

My ST has ABS, which I'd like to retain. I've done dozens of rear brakes on a variety of vehicles, but never one with ABS. From what I have read, on the backside of the axle hub is a toothed ring. The ABS sensor is attached to the disc backing plate.

So, Dr. Laura says to me - get to the point.. Ok, here are my questions:

Am I looking at pretty much the same "parts list", as far as parking brake cable extensions, as the Explorer would need?

Would it be best to use the type of disc brake assembly with the drum-type parking brakes, or can the caliper-mounted be used also?

And, if the caliper-type is used, what mod would need to be done to the cable in order to make it work with the caliper?

Since I have ABS, would I need the backing plate off a vehicle that had ABS, or can a non-ABS backing plate be used?

Should I just bag this idea? (Hah, no, I think that is out of the question for me..!)

Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle,

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think you would be better off to just go out and find an axle from a 1997 or Newer.... It migyht be a lot easier and cheaper, like I said im not sure.

Consideration...

Yes, that is a consideration. I'm a suburbia person, tho, and don't want extra parts laying around. :) (Like, an unused rear axle! Been there, done that, irritated the neighbors.. heh)

I'm pretty sure the ABS sensor is on the diff on late model Explorers.

Back