• Register Today It's free!

Rear end oil change

dvonwwe

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Planning to do differential oil change on 2001 Sport Trac. Calls for 80w90 oil. Would it damage differential gears if a heavier gear oil is used?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it prolly wouldnt hurt but i would go with what it calls for.

i was gunna say that as well... i went with royal purple 80w90 in my 99 expo no complaints its also in the front diff

I run 85/140 in my rear diff because Aussie (I have one their lockers in my truck) says to use that weight in hotter temp environments. So in a nutshell you can use heavier oil. Nice to see someone else in Miami on this forum.

I thought all oils were supposed to be synthetic in this truck, for reduced drag thus improving mileage. Heavier oil is probably fine, but it will also increase drag.

I think the rear end on all of them calls for synthetic. Mine did anyways. Front was normal though.

The open diffs don't call for synthetic at least my Haynes manual didn't say that. I use a synthetic blend in mine. From what I recall, the limited slips can use full synthetic or conventional plus friction modifier additive.

From what I recall, the limited slips can use full synthetic or conventional plus friction modifier additive.
Even if it's a synthetic blend or a full synthetic oil, it will still require the friction modifier unless the oil container states that it already has it.

OP, no, running the higher viscosity oil won't hurt a thing. In a couple of aspects it will even be benficial to have an oil with a broader viscosity index (less prone to heat breakdown for one). You'll never notice the slight increase in drag caused by the increase in viscosity on your mileage if you use a synthetic.

Even if it's a synthetic blend or a full synthetic oil, it will still require the friction modifier unless the oil container states that it already has it.

OP, no, running the higher viscosity oil won't hurt a thing. In a couple of aspects it will even be benficial to have an oil with a broader viscosity index (less prone to heat breakdown for one). You'll never notice the slight increase in drag caused by the increase in viscosity on your mileage if you use a synthetic.

Interesting. I could have sworn I read on a bottle of synth oil that it said it didnt need to have friction modifier with that fluid. Didn't give it much thought as mine is open, well, it was anyway.

I believe the front takes 80w-90 and the rear takes 75w-140.

Back