• Register Today It's free!

Trans oil change

Gse Brent

Reaction score
City, State
Small Wonder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok so my ST has almost 121k on it and i bought it with 57k on it. I've never had the trans oil changed and im not even sure if the previous owner(s) ever had it done. I've never had any transmission problems, knock on wood. But i know i need and should have it done. I had the trans cooler installed back in april but now i need some fresh oil. Would you guys recommend "doing this job yourself" or "take it to a shop?" And if a shop, would you go to an authorized Ford dealer or some place like aamco? I got quoted $180 from Ford and $160-$170ish from aamco. Does this seem like the going rate? So what would you guys do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally , IF I was going to do anything at all to it I'd just drop the pan, replace the filter and fill it back. At 120K with no maintenance it would make me cautious about doing anything at all to it. No way would I have a "flush" done. How does the fluid look? Dark brown or red?

I'll have to check the fluid and get back to you on the color. Yea i'm really hesitant about this trans oil change due to the mileage and i haven't had any problems.

I was planning on trying to completely refill mine with amsoil tranny fluid but am not sure how to do it (entirely) - and not sure if it would hurt anything. I got about 150,000 on a 97

There's a bunch of "how to" threads on here. Doesn't look too over whelming. I even googled ford explorer transmission fluid change and a lot came up.

ok two ways to do this. a fluid only swap or a pan drop filter/fluid replace. for a fluid only swap its simple remove the two hoses on the trans cooler and start the vehicle watch for which pumps out and put the suction in a clean bucket filled with fresh oil and use the pump side to pump into a nasty bucket.

as for pan drop style you have to slowly remove the pan bolts on one side till you get flow out of it (remove corner bolts to get more controlled flow) when flow stops continue to remove the bolts till pan drops replace filter replace pan and fill oil through dipstick tube

Ok so my ST has almost 121k on it and i bought it with 57k on it. I've never had the trans oil changed and im not even sure if the previous owner(s) ever had it done. I've never had any transmission problems, knock on wood. But i know i need and should have it done. I had the trans cooler installed back in april but now i need some fresh oil. Would you guys recommend "doing this job yourself" or "take it to a shop?" And if a shop, would you go to an authorized Ford dealer or some place like aamco? I got quoted $180 from Ford and $160-$170ish from aamco. Does this seem like the going rate? So what would you guys do?

With that amount of miles without maintenance I wouldn't change it. I would just drive it till it died and make sure I have a plan on how to repair or start saving or maybe buy a rebuilt one to put in. Maybe you could buy one at a yard and rebuild it yourself, you have the time to learn. Not sure how practical that might be for you.

So you think i should just wait til it goes? Anyone think i should add some lucas trans fix in it? The fluid is redish/brownish but not dark in any kind of way.

So you think i should just wait til it goes? Anyone think i should add some lucas trans fix in it? The fluid is redish/brownish but not dark in any kind of way.

I would just wait. What happens is gunk builds up inside the transmission and pretty much because part of the transmission if you my meaning. Once you put a bunch of new fluid in with it detergents it cleans away the gunk and you end up with a slipping transmission. I worked at a Jiffy Lube (read: not an expert) as a teen and we would have recommended that you don't do that service.

So the trans in the ST is a 5R55E right?

So the trans in the ST is a 5R55E right?

I'm not sure what the exact model is but I'm sure someone will answer if you post the question as a new topic. I have the manual transmission.

I would drop the pan and do a fluid / filter change. By dropping the pan, you're replacing about half the tranny fluid. I did that with my 2001 Sport Trac and all is well, even seemed to improve some light slipping. You can cycle your fluid change that way. I plan to drop the pan again and replace another 5 quarts, until eventually it's as fresh as I can get it.

The transmission pump will not "suck" up any oil into the tranny. I would take it to Ford and flush it, with a filter change. I think you all are being paranoid, especially with the fluid showing no sign of overheating and still smells OK. I just traded in an XT that had the 5R55W in it and had 286,108 mile on it. You take care of that tranny with regular flushes (I used Amsoil from the first 30 k flush and flushed every 60k miles. Changed filter every 2nd flush.
Have the tech adjust the bands while he's down there. Probably doesn't need it, but while he's there it only takes 5 minutes.
I have did my own flushes with a 12v pump used for spraying weed killer, and I"ve had the garage do it. sure is easier with the garage. I normally paid $129.00 even with my own fluid. A new tranny is around $1800 - $2200 depending on where you sourced it, and then pay to get someone to put it in. Sure is cheaper to take care of what you have.

No auto mechanic here but at 82,000 miles I pulled the pan, replaced the filter and installed a drain plug. I figure after a few thousand miles I'll drain it/refill it and eventually end up with nice clean fresh ATF. I wasn't having any issues and the fluid looked OK. Not its bright color when it's new but not burnt or badly discolored. Hopefully it will all work out well.

Good advice above. Either way I would replace the filter and a pan full of the fluid. Then if you want to flush it after or add a drain plug and do a little every couple thousand miles (that would be my choice), that's up to you.

With over 100k on it I would change the transfer case lube also if it is a 4x4. It takes regular Mercon ATF and is easy to do yourself if you get a suction gun to fill it with. I use Mobil 1 ATF in mine. I would also do the axle(s). Here the Valvoline Qwicky Lube does axles with a suction pump for $49.99 and at that price it's not worth the hassle of doing it myself. That is the only way to do the front diff anyway if you have a 4x4.

On an automatic trans one would use the dip stick tube to fill right? What about a manual trans? I've needed to do this for a long time, and just have no idea where to fill it from...

On an automatic trans one would use the dip stick tube to fill right? What about a manual trans? I've needed to do this for a long time, and just have no idea where to fill it from...

There is no dipstick on the 5R55X transmissions. They are sealed. hence the cleanliness of the fluid when changing. You have to drop the pan to change the oil.

There is no dipstick on the 5R55X transmissions. They are sealed. hence the cleanliness of the fluid when changing. You have to drop the pan to change the oil.

No, the 5R55E does have a transmission fluid dipstick which you would use to refill fluid.

As far as the rest of the alphabet soup of 5r's go I only know that the "W" doesn't have a transmission fluid dipstick and it is found in '02 through '05 4 door Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be drain and fill plugs on the side of the tranny that take a 3/8" ratchet extension. At least on my son's 5 speed Mustang that's how it is. Get a suction gun to fill it with. Drain the old lube, replace the drain plug, then pump the fresh lube into the fill hole. The manual tranny takes regular Mercon ATF (not Mercon V like the automatics). I use Mobil 1 ATF in my t-case and the Mustang tranny. It takes a bit less than 2 quarts.

If you have a 4x4 Trac the process to change the t-case lube is the same. Plugs are on the back side of the t-case.

Back