The four hour oil change | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The four hour oil change

In any case, they sell nice squeeze type oil filter wrenches that engage the entire side of the filter and have a solid mounted straight 3/8s ratchet so you donā€™t have to modify anything. Fits many sizes filters.
Ā 

Bought a 02 sport trac in February, today I went to do the oil change on it.

First off it's the factory 02 motor I verified the VIN on it.

Bought the filter and oil, Motorcraft FL-820S, got home and went to take off the oil plug and it looked like it had been chewed up by hungry dogs. Thank you Valvoline oil change center the last owner used. Half hour later it's off and trip number two to parts store for new plug happens.

Pulled the filter and it's a Valvoline V0-88, umm one of these things is not like the other.

Smaller OD and larger thread size then the FL-820S

Trip number three begins

Back to Advance which ended with a cussing to a moron at the counter that swore he worked at Ford for 15 years in the Service department and they only made one 4.0L V6 and the 2002 Explorer is the same as a Sport Trac, and the only difference is the Sport Trac is a two door version of the Explorer. And no he wasn't referencing the Sport he flat out told me the Sport Trac was a two door 2002 Explorer with the same engine and body. Result - Wrong filter number # 2

Trip Number four

Finally with the help of a smart person at Oreilly's we found a Wix filter 57060 that cross ref with the Valvoline filter and screwed right on and fit perfectly. I was thinking maybe the center threads were changed but even the filter base is too small for a FL-820S.

Suffice to say the box flap is in the owners manual now.
This is the same thing that happened to me tonight went to change the oil in the fire department 05 explorer with a 4.0l and the filter I had bought was almost twice as big. The filter that was on it was a Valvoline V088.
Ā 

Back