• Register Today It's free!

Rear end resistance

MarkT302

Reaction score
City, State
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I have a 2000 Explorer V8 awd, and when I pull out of an intersection going straight, i have no problems. When I'm turning left or right out of an intersection from a stop, however, the inside rear tire seems to stick or bind up. I checked the calipers and greased up the slides, which were working smoothly even before i lubed them. So now i'm wondering if it could mean i just need all new calipers or if it's a different problem. (According to my VIN, I have open diffs, and no lsd.) Thanks in advance for any help guys! Love this community we have here!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, sure sound like a locked up rear differential. Id jack it up and turn the rear tires by hand just to see.

Which VIN decoding site did you use to get such detailed information?

Does the V8 AWD come on under torque load? Could be that.

I have a 2000 Explorer V8 awd...(According to my VIN, I have open diffs, and no lsd.)
Look on the door jamb for that information.
I have a V8 AWD and it has the D4 code (LS rear axle diff). Of course, no binding in turns.

are all your tires all the same size, brand and thread depth?

Or even worse... did you drive at any time without the front shaft and now you put it back in? If so, the central VC might be stuck (baked solid).

You say that rears bind, but in this case, it could be both rear and front - front axle has normally only 35% torque, so would be less binding.

VC Stuck

I brought it up here to WI from MO back in July with 113,000 miles on it, and now it has 115,700 on it. It didnt start doing it until about 2-3 months after I bought it. Like I said, when I take off from a stop straight, no problems. If im turning, then I notice the resistance. I'm going to change the rear diff fluid this morning, and see if i notice anything odd while im in there. Maybe she's dry. haha

D4 rear differential (LSD)

I made a mistake..I was looking at the full VIN instead of the breakdown below it. I have the LSD with the 3.73 gears. Idk if that makes a difference. Could the diff just not have any of the Limited Slip additive and that's causing it when taking off left or right?

I made a mistake..I was looking at the full VIN instead of the breakdown below it. I have the LSD with the 3.73 gears. Idk if that makes a difference. Could the diff just not have any of the Limited Slip additive and that's causing it when taking off left or right?
Definitely. One 4 ounce bottle of Motorcraft XL-3 may cure your LS turn chatter. If not it may be time to replace the clutch packs.

If you are in doubt, change the fluid... it's expensive since it needs synthetic one.
Mobile1 sells one that has the LS additive incorporated:
Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-140

Diff fluid

Hey guys, I picked up some XL-3 stuff from a dealer and I have Royal Purple Synthetic gear oil with the additive in it, but i read to put in the motorcraft additive anyway. The cover had some black fluid in it, so my guess is that it's the original fluid from the factory. haha. I also had to get RTV since they don't make actual gaskets for it anymore. Thanks for the advice guys!

Hope it works Mark, good luck. Make sure you loosen the fill plug BEFORE removing the rear cover, they have been known to seize.
If you still have the chatter after, save the expensive fluid in a clean container for reuse. BTW, 8.8 rear cover gaskets are available from Fel-Pro or LubeLocker, but not needed or used from the factory. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...r-Gasket-Rear-Axle/_/R-FPBRDS55341_0306865552

Still acting up

I filled up the diff with fluid today and drove it, and the inside rear tire still catches/binds when turning out of an intersection. Could it be something with the calipers yet? or maybe something with the master cylinder? I'm stumped. haha

Calipers, brakes if they were the cause would not be effected by turning. They are on a fixed plane with the rear end.

Changing gear lube and adding friction modifier won't be an instant fix. Heard as much as 1000 driving miles to soak the clutch packs to work.

Entirely possible you have a parking brake dragging.

Crisis Averted!

Today, on my way home, during the same route I take every day, the rear end didn't bind up on me! Maybe the clutch packs are getting soaked finally.

P.S.- You guys rock!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Years ago, I swapped a 9" Traction Lock limited slip rear end into my '77 Ranchero. It popped and jerked some going around corners, so I took it to my friend who was an ace Ford mechanic. He figured the problem was due to the fact the rear came out of a car that had been sitting in a field several years. We went to an empty parking lot and drove around in tight circles for about 20 minutes. We'd make several circles to the left followed by several to the right.
The idea was to get the gear lube circulated onto all the parts inside the rear, and to get it loosened up. Basically, we put the turns of several hundred miles of normal driving on it in 20 minutes. It worked - no more popping or roughness after that. Don't know if it will work for you, but it might be worth a try. If it gets worse, stop!

If you try this, just know going in you're going to feel like an idiot going around in circles like that!

Back