• Register Today It's free!

Rear-end swap on '94 Explorer?

luvmonterey

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
The rear-end of my '94 Explorer (XLT 4x4, 149K) is making a lot of noise. When it was on a rack last week having some work done, I could clearly hear the metal to metal grinding coming from the differential. My mechanic says that I should have the whole axle assembly replaced. Is this reasonable? Can the differential and gearing be repaired? If I have to replace the whole rear axle, I would like to swap in a later model that has rear disk brakes. I saw the "How-To" on this site for a '92 to '97 swap. Does anybody know what model year rear axle assemblys would be compatable with my '94? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear-end of my '94 Explorer (XLT 4x4, 149K) is making a lot of noise. When it was on a rack last week having some work done, I could clearly hear the metal to metal grinding coming from the differential. My mechanic says that I should have the whole axle assembly replaced. Is this reasonable? Can the differential and gearing be repaired? If I have to replace the whole rear axle, I would like to swap in a later model that has rear disk brakes. I saw the "How-To" on this site for a '92 to '97 swap. Does anybody know what model year rear axle assemblys would be compatable with my '94? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i know you can use the rear end all the way up to a 2001.

it's not "basic" but it's not extremely hard. just get the axle, un hook it from everything. put in the new one, and just work the kinks out. you might want to look up the conversion for the disc brakes to be able to adjust the booster to accomodate the rear disc brakes.

As blacksheep josh said you can use any axle up to a 2001. Since you want disc brakes you would therefore need a rear axle from an Ex between '95 and '01. I'm don't know what your mechanical ability is but if you're a moderately capable home mechanic then I think you can handle a rear end swap although it is time consuming. So if you think you can handle this type of work then I would recommend getting a low mileage complete rear axle from a junkyard and just swapping the whole thing in. Since you have a 4x4 just make sure that you get the same gear ratio that you have right now unless you plan on changing the front differential. If you are planning on having a mechanic do the work then honestly I think it will be expensive whether you repair the existing differential or replace it. Did the mechanic say what was wrong with the current differential?

James, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize he had a 4x4. That doesn't complicate things to much, because the 3.73 is pretty common. If you can dedicate a solid weekend, you can do this I'd say.

Thanks for the info guys. James, it looks like you already went through this exercise right? If so, can you give me any advice regarding the swap? If I can use a 95-2001, that should make it easier to find a low miler. Does anyone know if there the process is the same for all model years? Is the swap using a 2001 the same as a '95? I will be having my mechanic do the work, so it will be about the same cost to me, regardless if I use a rear end with disks or not. I would much rather have the rear disks. James, did you have to adjust the presure in your brake system after the swap? Thansk again!

I believe that all the rear ends from '95 to '01 were exactly the same so the swap will be the same process no matter what year rear end you buy. I think the only difference is that the V8 model used tracking bars but even if you buy a rear end from a V8 model it won't make a difference as the tracking bar mounts are not in the way. I used a rear end from a '99 V8. Try to find a rear end that is complete with brake lines that are in good condition so the mechanic doesn't have to bend new ones. Also if you want to try to find one complete with the sway bar. You can use the old one but the rear end I bought came with one and I noticed that it was much thicker so it helped reduce body roll a little bit. You will also need the intermediate parking brake cable from a second gen, as the cables are different lengths. I had to adjust the master cylinder after I put on the rear discs. The pedal was very low so I adjusted the pushrod that goes into the master until I was happy with the pedal feel. I am very happy with the disc brakes, they are much more powerful. Maybe someday I will replace the master cylinder with a disc/disc one but for now the current master is good enough after I adjusted it.

The entire rear-end, including brakes, calipers, and all, including the brake lines on it, is less then 100 dollars before tax at the local pull-a-part. I'm on the verge of getting it and working on it in my garage. Like rebuilding the calipers, new brake pads, possibly new lines and just cleaning it up real good. This might be an option for ya if you have a pullapart close enough.

Back