Rear end swap

94EddieBauerRock

Reaction score
City, State
Champaign, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
Hello,

I have done some searching on this but have not found the answer I have been looking for. I have an absolutely obnoxious roar (started as an annoying whine) coming from what seems to be my rear end. I am guessing it is the pinion bearing.
I recently bought a 93 parts truck and I am thinking about just swapping the rear ends between it and my 94 (they are both 3.73 limited slips).
I will be replacing the U-joints when I swap the rear-ends. I have read that you want to make sure that the driveshaft is re-installed in the same position as it came from the factory to maintain balance. What can I do about this since the dif will be from a different vehicle. Thanks for any suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never had any problems doing this. You might want to get your drive shaft balanced after rebuilding it, but I have never done that either. If you do have slight vibration after the job is done, you can balance it with hose clamps. The screw portion of the clamp acts as a small weight. This is a trial and error procedure though.

Thanks for the advice. I don't drive this vehicle much at all right now because the whining roar makes it miserable. I will try swapping rear-ends and see if I get any vibrations.

I never did understand why they tell you that. The factory doesn't balance the drive shaft with the axle attached anyway. I've never payed attention to it and it's never caused any vibrations.

I understand the annoying sound. I just inherited an Aerostar with a bad rear end from my Grandparents. It whines like a police siren and clunks just as bad!

Cool pic ammo!

Mine doesn't clunk yet but I have a feeling it will start soon if I don't get on this. I can't wait to get it done so I can drive it again. Fortunately I have other cars that are may daily drivers but my Ex is by far my favorite vehicle.

Back