Rear Floor Pan Cover - 2003 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Floor Pan Cover - 2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Medic454

Reaction score
City, State
BOSTON, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hello Explorer Forum. I've been reading here a while but haven't needed to post until now. I am completely stumped by the stupidest part in my 03 explorer. I've tried searching the forums, the internet, ford's part catalog, calling the dealership - nobody can tell me what this thing is. I figured I'd leave it up to you experts to figure it out.

In the back of the third generation explorers, on the left (drivers) side, in the cargo / third row seat area - there is what I call the "trash can." I'm sure that it's got an official name -- stowage container or something of that nature -- but that is just about the best way I can describe it. It's got a cover that is flush with the molding for the interior trim behind the wheel well.

If you lift this trash can out and up, you'll see the floor pan. If you look at the floor pan you'll see a round rubber plug and a metal bracket -- maybe 2 inches wide and six inches long? The bracket is held in place with two metal bolts and has a gasket between it and the floor pan.

2rwpbow.jpg

My bracket has disappeared, and I'm left with a 2 x 6 hole in my floor pan! I am aware that I could just custom cut a metal plate and screw it in, but I was hoping to identify this part and buy an aftermarket replacement or a unit from ford.

I am not sure if this is an "access panel" or if this is a "body drain" or what, but I can't identify it and can't find it on any diagrams. The best I could find was Ford Part 111A74A Floor Pan Cover Plate -- and that is not the part.

2j674ep.jpg

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: And I will provide pictures as soon as I can get them - the reason I did not was that I already put a temp plug in the hole so water and such doesn't get up in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try finding the part in a wrecking yard.

Not sure what it's called, but that panel would be different if you had rear AC, as that's where the pipes re-enter the car. That's probably why it's serviceable.

Not sure what it's called, but that panel would be different if you had rear AC, as that's where the pipes re-enter the car. That's probably why it's serviceable.

I have found my part. If anyone else needs one of these units, I believe they are Ford Part No.: F58Z-19D746-A, the Auxilliary Air Conditioning Blanking Plate and are $12. Thanks for your help and suggestions guys! Once it comes in I will confirm it is the correct part. I was able to find this because of Number4 here, and him telling me what this part was covering.

Back