• Register Today It's free!

Rear gate '93 Explorer

thumper73

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Here is the problem. While backing up I hit a fence rail and popped in the handle to the rear gate. There is NO outward damage, and I stopped once I knew I hit the rail and the handle area popped back out once I pulled forward. Now the handle part that open the gate or window does NOT work. The automatic door lock/unlock still works but to open the window or gate part does not. I am assume that the interior bar that connects to the locking mechinsaim(sp) is bent.

1. Now without being able to open the rear gate, how can one fix the interior portion of the door?

2. From the inside cabin, can I pull the molding out/off to gain access to the doors insides? There are no screws visible from the inside.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys,

Gary aka "thumper"

Yes, you are correct in assuming that the mechanism has moved!
I just fixed my mother in laws ex, (my Brother in law hit a tree backing up, same problem)
You CAN get into the tailgate with it closed, just be patient and pull/push/curse at the interior panel carefully
once the panel is off, you can either manually pop the gate open and work on it from outside, or fix from inside
Imagin the tailgate is two vertical pieces- the outer shell and the inner shell:
the handle is attached to the outer shell, and there is a cam that actuated the latch mechanism-
the mechanism is mounted to a third vertical bar inside the gate, and it is probably bent away from the handle-
the entire bar can be bent back until the cam on the handle is touching the latch mechanism again!

Good Luck!!
Scott

After you get the plastic away from the door(inside), reach up inside until you find/feel the rod/cable, it will be covered by a rough material and be running horizontal about midway across the door, give it a pull, similiar sutuation happened to me, only mine was the door latch had vibrated loose on the outside...hope this helps

thank you guys for the help.

So, before I run out with a small pry-bar, there are no hidden screws that need to be removed prior to push/pull/CURSE at the interior?

Again Thank you all. -Gary

Back