Rear Glass Hatch Issue Driving Me Crazy. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Glass Hatch Issue Driving Me Crazy.

MJT-Mountie

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
My glass hatch will not open, but the main liftgate will. I used to hear a solenoid or something react when I pushed the release button, but now I hear nothing and the glass will not release. I have been trying to pull the interior trim panels off the hatch, to look into repairing it, but I can't figure out how to get the center of the panels to release. I have released the trim from the top and sides of the main liftgate (and broken several of those plug/pins in the process), but I can't get the panel off the bottom of the glass portion and when I lift the main trim panel up to try and release, the center of both panels hold firm. I've tried just about every way and everything, but can't get it to release.

I'm obviously missing something, but what?!!! This is my only vehicle and I need to use it. Closing the liftgate without re-positioning the pins has just led to more broken pins, but I need to use the truck!. How do these things come off? Should I just rip the panels off regardless of the damage?

Any help all of you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will the fob open it?

I have an issue with the glass hatch opening whenever it wants to. The locking mechanism always unlocks with the vehicle is running and will not stop unlocking until the vehicle is shut off. We could switch problems??

Will the fob open it?
Sorry for the delay responding, I've been offline for a bit. No, the key fob will not open it. It used to activate a solenoid, just as the gate button did, but now neither does anything. I'm more and more convinced that my door ajar sensor problem is in the lift gate, but I can't seem to get the inner panels off both parts of the rear lift gate.

Thanks for responding.

Sorry for the delay responding, I've been offline for a bit. No, the key fob will not open it. It used to activate a solenoid, just as the gate button did, but now neither does anything. I'm more and more convinced that my door ajar sensor problem is in the lift gate, but I can't seem to get the inner panels off both parts of the rear lift gate.

Thanks for responding.
I know this is old but in case someone else has this problem, you can't remove the inner gate panels with the glass closed because they go behind the latch. You will have to pry them out far enough to get inside and release the glass by manually pulling the cable or release lever, or cut the center of the panels to get them off from around the latch.

Back