• Register Today It's free!

Rear hatch handle prob.

plumcrazylx

Reaction score
City, State
GF, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E/B
I hve a 98 E/B. I am having problems with the rear hatch door handle. It will only open if I insert the key and turn like I am unlocking the door. If I don't use the key, it acts like it is locked. I have the panel off and everything looks like it is hooked up right. Nothing looks like it poped out of place. Could it just be a weak lock actuator? Any suggestions would be great.

thanks
ryan

A new actuator did not cure the problem. Anybody have any guesses.

Try spraying some White Lithium Grease, WD-40, or some other light lubricant into the handle and all the latch parts (not into the key hole). It may not be related, but my 2000 XLS rear door was sticking AFTER I opened it. I could open it normally but the handle remained in the "opening" position, causing problems with closure. I shot it with the grease and it works like a charm.
Another possibility with your door is that there may be some linkage(s) in the door that need adjustment. There's usually one that allows you to shorten or lenghten the distance between the actuator and the latch. I haven't been in the rear door of an Explorer, but I have seen this in different doors of a few different brands. These links are always going to come out of tolerance at some point with enough use, so manufacturers almost always make them adjustable. It's a small and simple procedure. Someone on the forum should know it.
Good luck.

Back