Rear Hatch Lift Rods | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Lift Rods

walterd140 said:
Well Gunny, don't be too hard on him. Over my years here I have seen many folks get a fix, mention it, then fade away. I do wonder if he was talking about the rear door bracket or rear window bracket (where it connects to the glass).

Walter

If its me you were referring to it was the door bracket nothing to so with the window.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear window

charles88tc said:
If its me you were referring to it was the door bracket nothing to so with the window.

Hi Charles

No it was to JM that posted a fix a long ways back, that him and I were in reference to. JM said he had a simple fix, and dropped it at that, no explanation at all. We are all referring to the back door bracket, I believe.

As far as your dream about getting those guys together, and having a race, I am all for that, I would travel many miles and pay some bucks to see that one. But you left out one thing, who you thought would win that one. I know who I think would win it. Whats yours.? I don't know Jeff was pretty good back in his midget days. ha ha ha

Take care...........Gunny....... :usa:

no denying Jeff was good in his midget days, but I think, it would depend on a few things if it was a true usac sprint race (wingless) It would have to be between the two greatest in the history of the sport, the only ones to ever win the triple crown in a season, JJ yeley or Tony Stewart. My money would be on Tony tho, 2 cups a triple crown and and irl championship at that . Really it would be a toss up. No if it were a world of outlaws type car, I would put money on Blaney if he hasnt lost it, Otherwise, depending on which track Again Tony! Have a good weekend guys!

Hey you have a good one too, and a happy one to all you guys. Sunday is a big race day, Indy then the 600. Cant seem to get enough of it.

J J was a good one, I think even better then Tony. But you cannot forget Mr. Kinser. Big gut, age and all he still can drive that car. Even after a few times on his lid in IROC. Now that would be a race, JJ, Tony, and Kinser. I bet you could take a hat and cover them, at the finish. Don't even have a guess who would come across first in that one.

I will post on here if I come up with a good quick fix on the rod supports, and I will post how I wound up fixing it. If it lasted all these years with being welded, even spot welded, I probably will go that way. Any one that comes up with or sees a good fix, I am all ears. I am open to any and all good ideas.

Thanks and take care.............Gunny

Talking about JM. Not you Charles.

Have a great weekend
Walter

Rear door bracket broken

Hi Gang

Lets tighten those seat belts one more time and lets go racing, BBBBBOOOOOOGGGGGGGGETTTTY BBBBBBOOOOOOOGGGGGEEETTTTTYYYY BBBBBBOOOOOGGGGGGEEEETTTTYYYY.

Thanks and take care.........Gunny

Ah! Sorry guys! I didnt think to write a post or picture on the fix. Ill explain and post pictures tomorrow.

The pivot knob is what broke off. It was stuck on the inside of the lift strut. I got that out no problems. I took a grinder to the broken stud and made it flat with the mount.

I then slowly drilled a hole through the spot where the old pivot post was. I tried hammering it out but no luck. Then I took a big bolt, one that would provide enough "grip" for the lift strut to rotate on, then just screwed it in.

It worked perfect, but heres the catch....

The place where I mounted the bolt eventually worked the rivet out. Now it squeaks when closing. So now, I need to take it off again and just use a bigger bolt to rethread the hole and install again.

Again, Im sorry. I thought it was sort of a self explanatory fix. But Ill post a picture tomorrow and it will make sense more.

Hatch door supports

jmounce

I thought the way you had it worded you broke the mount for the support shock. I believe what we are talking about does not pertain to your fix.

Thanks................Gunny

Here you go, as promised. Kinda blurry but you get the idea. The silver piece between the lifter and bracket is the nut I screwed into the bracket.

e6a0e0ec.jpg

Clear as day jmouse. Thanks for the update & pic

Walter

Back