• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Lift Rods

Jmounce

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
So Ive been feeling really special. I got around to tweaking the rear locking posts so that the rear hatch would fully latch shut.

But, one day, it decided not to take it anymore and the ball joint on the hatch door that connects to the lift rod broke off! The pivot joint was all rusted and corroded. Is there a replacement part or is this something that needs to be rewelded?

Dang it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just checked my 94 for you. Top rod looks like a bracket that is rivited in position. Does not look like you can just replace the rod itself. So you may need a bone yard search & a little welding....

Maybe just 'create' one using a bolt? Don't know if that would help you.
Walter

Fixed it with a dollar store bol. Works like a champ.

Good to hear JM.... got any pics of the fix?

Walter

yeah, I'd like to see the fix too. I just had a junkyard pull this mount. I cut my broken one off and now have to weld in the replacement part. It costed me $15 for the part.

You do know, that the liftgate shocks were a recall item...I do believe...

That was in fact a recall , and you should beable to still have it done, I had mine fixed approx 3 years ago. If they give you a hard time tell them the door hit you in the head while you were unloading or something.

Is the recall for the strut or for the mount?

rikguy said:
Is the recall for the strut or for the mount?

Both, as far as I know. And as was said, a dealer must still honor the recall.

But you have a 2nd gen. I know it was a 1st gen recall, not sure about 2nd gen.

I talked to the local Ford service department and he said that the recall is for 3rd gen 2003 and up. I'll have to have the replacement welded on.

broken welds on back hatch rods

Jmounce said:
Fixed it with a dollar store bol. Works like a champ.

Hi Gang

Well JM share you fix. What did you do to fix it. I was thinking that you might take the collar off around the back window, and there might be enough room to get a nut and bolt in there some how. Don't make rivets big enough. Out side of that or welding it, is all I can see. If some one has gotten this done on their 93/94 Explorer under Warr let me know too.

Take care............Gunny

Welds broken

Hi Walter

Thanks for the info, I wonder how one could find out for sure. I guess I will have to make a trip to the local Ford dealer and see what they say. I really don't expect anything to be done under Warr, just curious. I probably will just wind up welding it myself.

I am really curious about what JM was talking about though, I wish he would get back to us and explain what he had as a fix. I might just take that collar off around the back window to see how much if any room to get in behind the cylinder mount. I tend to think when some one comes on here and says what he did, they are just leading us on and don't really have a fix. Any one with a real fix would be more then happy to help out his fellow Explorer owners.

Thanks and take care..........Gunny

Mine was done under recall. It was the mount and I just greased up the strut and havent had any problems since.And that was like 3 years ago!

Hi Charles

Did yours break the welds, If so what kind of a repair did they do. I think that might have helped break the weld. The rod pivot points were kind of rusty looking and that just might have been enough no pivoting action to but it in a bind, and hence break prematurely. I did hear every once in a while a screech type noise when It would go up, I thought it was the cylinder itself.

Like I said I think I will juist drive by the dealership to see what they say, probably roll their eyes and say "what". Well thanks for the info. I am buying a small mig welder anyway, so I will wind up welding it probably.

Thanks and take care...........Gunny

I just drilled a hole and put a self tapping screw in each side... about 4-5 screws in each side

Hi Nascar

Great name, I am a big follower of it too. Too bad the old man had to end his life like he did. But he died happy, doing what he loved. Look out for that # 24, thats my boy.

Yes I was sort of thinking of doing something like that too, but I was concerned about the torn metal and the holes that are there now and making more holes might weaken that whole section, and that back door is heavy, just ask my head about that. Broke my 3 tooth partial too. It hit my head so hard it slammed my mouth shut and broke my partial. I might do that to an extent to hold it there, and hit it with a MIG weld. Still thinking about it. I want to check out the Ford dealer first, before I do any thing.

Thanks.............Gunny

99redvette said:
Hi Charles

Did yours break the welds, If so what kind of a repair did they do.

They pop riveted a plate on top, of the original bracket on both sides I think it was like 4 or 6 rivets. If I can find my digital camera Ill post some pics.

99redvette said:
Look out for that # 24, thats my boy.

Yeah look out in your rear view mirror. He stays behind most drivers, on the track and off the track. Just kidding I have to rib all 24 fans. Its my job. I would like to see him and my personal favorite Tony Stewart get back in usac cars, with Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, JJ Yeley, and just for chits and giggles Dave Blaney, in a race and see who is Top Dog!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Gunny, don't be too hard on him. Over my years here I have seen many folks get a fix, mention it, then fade away. I do wonder if he was talking about the rear door bracket or rear window bracket (where it connects to the glass).

Anyway, I thought this site had a spot for TSB's & recalls. Would be nice & keep me from goggling all over the web.

Walter

Back