• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch won't open

Goldrusher44@mac

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
First off this is my first post, if I am doing it wrong, I apologize.
I have a 93 Explorer XLT and today when I went to open the back hatch ( window OR door ) the handle just turns and does nothing. It feels broken inside and by that I mean there is NO click when you turn the handle there is just a loose feeling and then a kind of Thump as it turns past the point were it should stop.
I have no idea what has caused this but my guess would be that someone might have tried to break in and broke the works inside OR it has just broken on its own.
Has anyone had any experience with this or know the approximate cost to fix it. Can I fix it myself ( not that experienced with this sort of thing ). As it stands right now I can not get into the back at all.
Thanks

I've never taken a look at the hatch before. But on the doors there are rods that connect the latch with the handle and the rod is connected to the handle with a little plastic clip. I'm not sure if this is the same but if it is, its a cheap easy fix

first off, welcome, I hope you find your time hear enjoyable. as for the back hatch, you need to remove the inside panel. never took the back one off, I would image, first you need to POP the panel away from the door. It is held on with little plastic screws. You will probably break the plastic screws, but not to worry. After you wrestle the panel out, you will probably need to lift it up and out.
After that you will need to play around in the door panel and figure how things work. Probably the plastic clip(s) broke. They will be @$10 at the dealership. Good luck, if you need someone can post a diagram of inside the hatch. Or you can search for one here. Good luck A.

have fun taking the rear hatch panel off w/out having the hatch open. the panel is one piece, the bottom of it is secured with tabs that slide over metal barbs on the hatch itself. screws hold the pull down strap and part of the upper portion of the panel. there is also velcro along the thinner rails of the panel securing it to the hatch. after you get that panel off though, all you have to do is push the horizontal rods to release the latchs on both sides and youre done.

my handle assembly is rusted and works half the time so i took my panel off one day when i had the hatch up and left it off until i can find a good handle at a salvage yard, just in case i need to open it and the handle doesnt cooperate.

Back