• Register Today It's free!

Rear Inside Tire Wear?

5.0L V8

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
So I just pulled off my rear right tire. I noticed it has excessive wear on the inside of the tire. What could cause this in the rear end? I know up front it can be caused by bad.ball joints/steering components, but as for the rear, what can be the culprit for inside tire wear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If both are worn it could be due to a significant amount of towing, but for only one I'd suspect a bad wheel bearing. Also check the U-bolts for tightness and the spring bushings for excessive wear.

My thoughts were the wheel bearing as well. I just did one on my Jeep ZJ with a Dana 44a. Are the ford 8.8's a C-Clip style axle? With my ZJ all I did was crack the diff, remove the c-Clips and pull out the shafts. I then rented a slide hammer and yanked out the old seal and bearing at the mouth of the axle tube.

Is the process similar on the 8.8?

The 8.8 has C clips.
Don't forget the diff cover uses an RTV gasket.

Another thing to check before you pull it all apart is the spring hangers.
That's what it was on my Charger.

How often are you rotating those tires, and what pattern? Post what you know about the tires such as age, miles, inflation, etc.

How often are you rotating those tires, and what pattern? Post what you know about the tires such as age, miles, inflation, etc.

The tires have always been rotated ever 15,000 or so. Theyre Wild Countru Radial TXR's. Inflation pressure has always been to tire specs on the side of the tire. The other 3 tires tread wear looked flawless.
The tires have to have close to 50,000-70,000 miles.
Rotation pattern has always been diagonal. Front passenger to rear driver and front driver to rear passenger.

To back up a few miles, as I thought the tire would have come from LF which is often a camber problem at the LF, so if the tire didn't get thrashed THERE, I would agree with the post above regarding the shackles or frame damage. RR seems like such an unlikely place for inside wear.

To back up a few miles, as I thought the tire would have come from LF which is often a camber problem at the LF, so if the tire didn't get thrashed THERE, I would agree with the post above regarding the shackles or frame damage. RR seems like such an unlikely place for inside wear.

The left front looked great when i pulled it off. To be honest, i know its been over 15k since that last rotation. Ive also noticed within the past 6-8 months, it HAS been pulling so slightly to the right.

So check the shackles, U Bolts and shock mounts/bushings, eh? Could a blown shock cause inside tire wear as well? The shocks on there are under 2 years old, however they are just cheapy little Monroe Matic Plus'. I cant see how one could be blown already seeing as how this is a pavement queen.

Is all looks good underneath, axle tube wheel bearing it is?

Back