Rear panels, Dynamat install on plastic or metal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear panels, Dynamat install on plastic or metal?

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Ok, I've seen tons of pictures w/ people lining their whole explorers w/ dynamat on the bare metal. While this will help with sound dampening... does it at all help with rattles? In my opinion it wouldn't...

So, wouldn't it make sense to install the dynamat on the backside of the plastic wall/door/hatch panels? That way the sound is dampened before it even reaches the stuff that could rattle?

I know there have been a million threads about installing dynamat... I searched them, but didn't see any with my exact question. (still tons of useful info however).

Any other useful tips people have found w/ stopping rattles (anywhere in any year X) ? I've stopped using my subs for a while because the rattling became just too much...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put it on both. I put it on the metal to stop my trim pieces on the outside from rattling and I put on the inside of the plastic to stop the plastic panel from rattling.

if i plan on buying dynamat? how much would i need to cover my 4 doors and the trunk. i was thinkin two bundles of the dynamat xtreme for the doors, and one trunk kit for my hatch.. do u think that is enough?

I used 100 Sq Feet of Fatmatt and did my whole Explorer. Dead Link Removed

I put it on both the metal and the plastic as well. Used close to 200 sq. feet (some areas, like the tailgate, have 2 or 3 layers of the stuff)

I used about half of my roll of Raamat. I think the roll was 70 square feet. I only did the passenger side since that was the only source of my rattles since that is where my sub-woofer is installed.

Back