rear passenger door wont open, Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear passenger door wont open, Help!

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
hi yall. my rear passenger door will not open from the inside. the child lock is not engaged, and the inside pull handle is sticking out. what could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Broken! They do it all the time! :( Mostly in 2nd gens I thought though... :confused:

You gotta get a new handle mech. About $13 from Ford I think. Just take off the door panel and its all right there. No problem.

Both my back ones are broken! :eek:

Me too! and I'm too cheap to pay 15 bucks for a chilton's book on how to get the panel off....besides I'm not the one who rides back there. Everyone who does says they feel like I'm a chauffeur...Oh well

I've taught my friends to roll down the window, reach around and open the door, then roll the window back up. :D

That's what I do with my 15 year old sister's friends....I'm not getting outta my comfy chair to let em out. Usally once they get their hand out the window the try and open the door then and dont realize i drive with my doors locked all of the time. lol. quite a funny site...

well, i wanna fix mine;) so i just need a new interior pull handle assembly? i didnt go out tonoght to work on blue, tomorrow i will, when i go to ford and get a new fan clutch and maybe this item

Its the American way

If something doesn't work, apply more force.

The latch normally gets sticky when the grease dries out and a little corrosion sets in. People then keep applying more force to the handle till the plastic tooth snaps. The handle pushes on a thin wire that easily bends when the latch mech sticks. You need to keep shooting oil in the latch while you gently work the handle about 30 times. If you are lucky, you haven't broke the tooth off yet. If you have, you will still have to do this to get it to work.

its ok, i went and bought a new handle and thats what it was. although looking at the old handle, i couldnt see anything wrong with it, aside it was sticking out 45 degrees. oh well, while i went there to spend 11.38 i ended up spending 50 dollars. i bought a model of the 2004 f-150. they are so ugly, i hate them. i want one so bad though, maybe stephen will buy me one )hint hint):D

Back