• Register Today It's free!

Rear passenger strut leaking

TowingExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
I searched this forum as well as the modifed for tags like "strut leaking", "shock leaking", "fluid leaking". Didn't find anything related to this.

How difficult is it to change one of these? I am a home mechanic, but I've done a lot on cars including coil over suspension changes which appear to be similar to the rear on my 06 Limited V8.

I wanted to buy an ESP, but they are suppose to check the rear struts, so obviously I'd fail from the oil/grime sitting on the spring base. I also think I should change both since whatever replacement unit I get is likely not going to perfectly match the OE and I don't want them to note "modified suspension" or something similar. I do plan on getting regular OE replacement ones from the local parts store.

A friend of mine works at a local repair shop and said this is a common problem as well as broken rear springs. I think he may have just been looking for problems since I bought, what I consider, a nice vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The R&I of the strut alone should not be a big problem (haven't done it, just doesn't look too complicated). The difficult part is transferring the spring and retainers to the new strut, you will need a strut compressor. Your best bet would be to call a local shop and ask how much to swap the spring on a strut, don't want to screw around with springs under that much load. Remember the majority of the work is probably the spring swap so you may want to ask how much more to do the whole job.

The R&I of the strut alone should not be a big problem (haven't done it, just doesn't look too complicated). The difficult part is transferring the spring and retainers to the new strut, you will need a strut compressor. Your best bet would be to call a local shop and ask how much to swap the spring on a strut, don't want to screw around with springs under that much load. Remember the majority of the work is probably the spring swap so you may want to ask how much more to do the whole job.
Thanks bojans for a response.

I've done spring and strut swaps on cars before, so I don't expect the Explorer to be too different aside from how it actually bolts to the top and the bottom. I already own a spring compressor, plus you can get one from the local parts store (AutoZone for example) for free when you return it.

Does anyone have any comments about buying them from the local parts store instead of the dealer and if the dealer would notice a difference when doing an inspection so I can get an ESP?

Some places will rent spring compressors. It's a pretty easy swap.

Not on an explorer
I've done it "not on an explorer" as well as I previously mentioned. Was hoping someone would have information on this actual application.

Also, I am concerned about the ESP inspection.

Doesn't seem like many people do their own work here on the newer models.

Good news, was at the dealer today getting some fuses and asked them about the ESP and AZ struts. The service guy said it's not an issue at all and he "completely understands" why I would want to pick one up from AZ instead of the dealer.

I just changed all the strut's on our explorer, it's not a bad job if you got some tool's, time, and a strut spring compreser,the back is real simple to do, but the front is more work, you might have to seperate the top ball joint,and tie rod's to get strut out/in. I guess i should have took picture's to post. Let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks Thunderace. I ordered the struts from Napa last week and they should have been in two days ago, just haven't had time to pick them up yet (hope to today).

I will try to take some pictures along the way.

By the way, Napa was $100/ea and the dealer was $143'ish each.

I got mine at napa also just under $100, 4-wheel drive version's might take a little more work up front then 2-wheel drive, good luck!

My Limited is 4WD and I am working on the rears. But the rears are heavier duty maybe due to the added overall weight of the vehicle from the 4WD components than their 2WD counterparts.

Back