rear rotor question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear rotor question

crazymind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaieer 4.0
Can the rear rotors if warped cause a shake at highway speeds? I ask this because I feel it more in the seat than I do the steering wheel so I know the front is good to go. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they could but so could other things. Why do you think its the brakes?

Bent axles, bad wheel bearings, broken belts on the tires are other things besides brakes that can cause the wobble too.

Wobble at cruise or just when applying the brakes?

Wobble or pulse at cruise = probably not your rotor(s).

Wobble or pulse when braking = probably your rotor(s).

at a contant speed of about 70 on the free way and when there is a bend on the road itll either get better or worse depends on what she feeling at the time. I think breaks because i know one for sure is warped it wont come off with out some seriouse beating, and the other one just slides right off like its suppose to. how would you go about checking to see if an axle is bent? i also just had the tire rotated and balaned as well

Just because a rear rotor wont come off easy, doesn't mean its warped. The e-brakes are holding it on (loosen the adjuster to release tension), or it is just on tight because of heat and time.

If you feel it on turns, it might be a Tie rod inner or end gone bad.

at a contant speed of about 70 on the free way and when there is a bend on the road itll either get better or worse depends on what she feeling at the time. I think breaks because i know one for sure is warped it wont come off with out some seriouse beating, and the other one just slides right off like its suppose to. how would you go about checking to see if an axle is bent? i also just had the tire rotated and balaned as well
being hard to remove may just indicate that the parking brake is adjusted incorrectly or rusted, so the rotor may or may not be warped. the way to test if it is actually warped, or if the axle is bent, is with a dial indicator to measure the runout as you turn it.

from your description, it sounds like axle bearings to me.

it might be heat and time since ive had the x for about a year and a half now ive never messed with the rear other than flush the diff and change shocks. on the turn it just changes intesity and i forgot to say that when i speed up or slow down itll change, and everytime thus far when decelerating it goes away at about sixty. speeding up usually gets worse. so i know its with the rolling mass and there isnt any grinding noise for the tail tail sign of a wheel bearing. acabtp, do you know the tolerance off the top of your head?

Check your u-joints. While driving, check for vibration getting worse while vehicle "floating" , neither accelerating nor decelerating at speed. This is just something else to check, I would lean to a wheel bearing problem.

Would a rear wheel bearing sound like a front one? There is no noise other than the wind I had everything off and still no sound of grinding

i have the same problem with my 2006, driving me crazy. developed on its own, bought new tires and problem still is there. wobble/shimmy under my seat towards the rear.

Back