Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Hello again,

I removed the rear seat when I got my Ex to make for more cargo room. Tossed it. Long story short I need to put one back in. Salvage yard has about 10 of them but about half are Sports. Are the rear seats in the Sport and 4 door interchangeable if one is in better shape than the other?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello again,

I removed the rear seat when I got my Ex to make for more cargo room. Tossed it. Long story short I need to put one back in. Salvage yard has about 10 of them but about half are Sports. Are the rear seats in the Sport and 4 door interchangeable if one is in better shape than the other?

No. The Sport rear seats (at least the seat backs) are narrower because the rear wheels get in the way at the sides due to the shorter wheelbase.

I'm in PA, if you were closer I'd sell you a rear seat cheap.

No. The Sport rear seats (at least the seat backs) are narrower because the rear wheels get in the way at the sides due to the shorter wheelbase.

What he said. The Sport rear seat is narrower (2 butts) than the 4 door rear seat (3 butts). They also fold differently, and mount differently. 2 door seats will not fit in a 4 door Ex.

Thanks. They want 60 bucks for a rear seat which I don't think was too bad and they will pull it for another 10 which I will probably do just to have it ready to be picked up and drive off with. But I will make sure they pull it out of the right one.

What I am HOPING to do it to cut the seat bracket and only install the small seat side, leaving the other side open, if I am remembering what the seat looks like correctly. So basically making a 3 passenger Explorer. If not I will just have to have to deal with a folded down seat on one side.

You should go hit your local pick-n-pull yards to save you some cash. From what I see in the yards I go to in WY and CO, the rear seats are usually in above average condition. Those yards would charge me $37 for a "Bench Seat". Removal of them is easy also.

Here's one that show at least twelve 95-01 Explorers, and one 99 Mountaineer, http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx?View=Detail&ID=73

X2. Local U Pick charges $26 with plenty to choose from in decent shape.

Cool. Maybe I'll shop around then. The one I called wanted 60 and 10 to pull it. We have 4 within 15 minutes that I know of so might call around now.

That's a pretty handy website to have.

This site really drives home the nail of how there isn't one of those pick-your-parts junkyards around here :(

Back