Rear shackle replacements | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear shackle replacements

aj213121

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac '03 XLT
Hello, my rear shackles cracked so i went to replace them. The bolts were not budging so i had to burn the bushings off. Now i have a few questions:
1. Where can i purchase these bushings at? (Online or store)
2. Do i need a ball joint press to press the bolts with bushings back in?
3. What is the easiest way to release tension from the leaf springs? Cause they are pressed against the frame right now.
4. Does the outer metal sleeve need to be removed from the leaf spring? And how does one go about doing that if so?
Thank you!

Hello, my rear shackles cracked so i went to replace them. The bolts were not budging so i had to burn the bushings off. Now i have a few questions:
1. Where can i purchase these bushings at? (Online or store)
2. Do i need a ball joint press to press the bolts with bushings back in?
3. What is the easiest way to release tension from the leaf springs? Cause they are pressed against the frame right now.
4. Does the outer metal sleeve need to be removed from the leaf spring? And how does one go about doing that if so?
Thank you!
I'm running into the same dilemma. I think its one of those jobs people cut corners on. I'm guessing they hardly ever replace the bushing, air hammer bolts outs, install new ones. I'm interested how you made out on your repair.
For me upper Frame mount collapsed using ball joint press.
Sent rest of day pulling it out. Only to collapse again on installation.

I'm running into the same dilemma. I think its one of those jobs people cut corners on. I'm guessing they hardly ever replace the bushing, air hammer bolts outs, install new ones. I'm interested how you made out on your repair.
For me upper Frame mount collapsed using ball joint press.
Sent rest of day pulling it out. Only to collapse again on installation.

I ended up using a lot of fire! Lol i basically torched the whole thing and jammed a flat head into the metal sleeve until it came out. It took quite a while from what i remember. I cannot really remember the name of the bushings i used but they were red and could be easier removed if the part were to fail again.

Back