Spring shackle replacement

kid_crash

Reaction score
City, State
Lovell Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger XLT, 1995 XLT
Hey All,
I've got to replace my spring shackles in my wife's 95 Ex (and my 98 Ranger. crappy metal!) I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and have a shop do them in case the spring bushings are bad. My question is how many of you have done this yourself? Were the bushings in need of replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey All,
I've got to replace my spring shackles in my wife's 95 Ex (and my 98 Ranger. crappy metal!) I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and have a shop do them in case the spring bushings are bad. My question is how many of you have done this yourself? Were the bushings in need of replacement?

Yeah, they look like swiss cheese right!

The lower bolt is often seized up due to rust in the metal bushing. I sprayed, pounded and pried for an hour and gave up. I brought it to a leaf spring place and they spent almost an hour with air tools(air hammer and impact) and they replaced the bolts. They said heat will destroy the rubber bushing and you just have to use brute force to get it out. They salvaged the bushing. YMMV.

The bushings, bolts, nuts, and shackles are available at the dealer for reasonable prices...the shackles around $16 ea, bushings a bit more, bolts about $8 (you can get those elsewhere, make sure its the same rated bolt).

If I had to do another one I would try a ball joint press before bringing it in.

I've removed them before. The biggest problem is getting the bolts driven out, the bolt is usually rusted in the steel sleeve and you have to beat the heck out of the bolt to try to drive it out ruining the bolt. I'm planning on replacing a pair on this other explorer I have and will hope to remove the bolts with a sawzall. It will ruin the bushings and the steel sleeve But they will need replacing anyway due to rust for safety reasons.

If the shackle bolts are fused to the inner bushing sleeve then it will be a huge pita to get them out. I used air tools, a torch, and ball joint press to get mine out (4hrs). As such if you have access to the right tools and have the time then give it a go, but if you can get a shop to do it for short money then it will save you lots of pain and aggravation.

Tip: when the shackle bolts are reinstalled you should coat them liberally with anti-seize. This will help prevent them from getting fused again.

Quick Bolt Removal

I've done this before, cut the bolts flush to the bushing on both sides. Turn your plasma cutter all the way up, and blow a hole threw the center. With a plasma, it cuts quick witout burning the rubber bushing. A hole punch will bring them the rest of the way out and your on your way.
Hope this helps.

Back