• Register Today It's free!

Rear spark plug removal V8

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
Looks like every spark plug except the rear plug on the passenger side is accessable. Any tips on how to remove it? Looks like the A/C evaporator is in the way. Perhaps getting to it underneath?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always go though the wheel well.. just remove those splash shields..

Good Luck

They are all much easier to do thru the wheel wells.

I go through the wheel well too. A nice assortment of extensions and a universal or wobble extension may help too.

I go through the wheel well too. A nice assortment of extensions and a universal or wobble extension may help too.

Thanks guys! Glad it's not a big deal. I've heard horror stories of spark plug removals.

Years ago I had a boss who had an 88 Pontiac Grand Prix V6. I was sitting there listening to him while he was on the phone with the dealer and they told him they was going to have to drop the engine in order to get to the rear three plugs!

Then there was this one guy who crammed a 454 with headers into a Camaro and afterwards couldn't access the spark plugs. I think the clearance was so tight he couldn't even get them to fall out of the block once they were unscrewed. So he took a hole saw and drilled holes through the fender well for access.

One time I had trouble replacing one of the rear spark plugs on my parent's 94 Plymouth Voyager V6. The casting in the head was so thick a typical plug socket would slide in deep enough to get a good grip on the plug. Don't know why the other five plugs were not a problem.

One of my FIAT buddies who I considered an expert on these vans told me to use the spark plug tool from one of my Fiats which is the same type of tool that Advance Auto sells in the lawnmower section.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to whoever posted the information on the keyless entry.

Back