• Register Today It's free!

Rear spring upgrade?

02Travis

Reaction score
City, State
Neenah, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.0
Posted this in another thread, but no reply, tried the search to no avail.

I just purchased an 02 Explorer. 132k. (Super clean and cheap!) I'm looking to pull an 27' airstream with a dry wt. under 4600 lbs and tongue weight is 500.

The rear springs look original, not broken yet, and one rear strut is leaking. I'd like to put in something heavier duty than stock, even though I'm within the load range of the stock equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find stronger springs? I'd rather replace with something heavier duty now rather than later. I'm picking the trailer up in a couple of weeks. It's in WV and I'm in WI, so I need to have this up to snuff!

I would like to upgrade my rear springs, they aren't broken...yet. I want to keep from bottoming out and keep the vehicle as level as possible.
I will be using a weight distributing hitch. I would sure like some sort of air shock, or maybe i'll have to get spring spacers. Any comments on the spacers?
Travis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check explorerexpress.com for their rear helwig spring, should beef up the rear sus quite a bit.

Have you searched the Towing section yet? Lots of good info there.

Add a leafs will give you lift and help some with towing. Old Man EMU, Deaver, Superlift, and the likes sells replacement heavy duty leaf packs online.

The '02 XLT has coil springs so the add-a-leaf will be of no help. I agree with checking the towing section. Those guys over there tow things and would no more about than me. Sorry I couldn't be any help. :salute:

Happens to all of us! I recently posted to a 3 year old thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for your efforts! I will check out the towing section right now.

Back