Rear Strobes In Reverse Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Strobes In Reverse Lights

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
So I install this strobe controller for my LED reverse lights for use while on side of road to use phone, change a tire or while driving in an extreme downpour or in thick fog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTefdAOkXc

and after reading our state traffic code

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

So I need to change these bulbs to amber's for them to be legal. Now there are two ways I can go about this.

1. Install amber LED's and my reverse lights will be amber which is allowed.

A motor vehicle may be equipped with: one or more backup lamps that: emit an amber or white light

My only concern is I have a rear view camera and I don't know how well it will see at night with amber light.

2. Install these "switchback" white and amber LED's they make and wire the white to the reverse and the amber to the strobe controller which will require that I buy new 3 wire sockets like the brake/turn lights use. Also since available LED space is divided between white and amber LED's they will not be nearly as bright as a single color LED bulb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my '97 I have added dedicated wiring and sockets for Amber LEDs as my rear strobes. I drilled the tail light housing in the Amber cell and used a file to make notches for the socket tabs.

I was hoping you did the switchback so I could see how it turned out. But glad you got it solved.

LOL... a flashing amber light on the roof of your truck isn't illegal at all...
Remember, just because it isn't mentioned in the DOT code, doesn't mean it's not illegal.
The DOT code doesn't say anything about driving drunk, but we all know that's Illegal.

LOL... a flashing amber light on the roof of your truck isn't illegal at all...
Remember, just because it isn't mentioned in the DOT code, doesn't mean it's not illegal.
The DOT code doesn't say anything about driving drunk, but we all know that's Illegal.

Texas is a "anyone can use amber" state.

Back