Rear.. tie rod end? alignment rod? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear.. tie rod end? alignment rod?

Old thread but worth a shot. I have an 02 explorer that I need to replace the toe links while I have it apart from doing rear bearings. Manufactured 11/01 so I bought the smaller 15 mm toe links and they do not fit. Returned those and going to try the bigger ones. Worse comes worst is it a bad idea to just weld them in?
I have the 16 mm and no one makes them for 16 inch rims

The part is called a "Toe Link" if I remember right. I had to replace the one on the pass. side @ rear. Depending on who you talk to they will tell you its called a tie rod, and it goes in the front, because it seems that nobody understands that this not a solid axle in the rear like the older ones. I got real frustrated looking for mine, until I finally got a hold of a friend that's the parts manager at a Ford dealer ( he was on vacation and I couldn't wait). It only cost me around $17 (wholesale maybe?) and took me about 1/2 hour to replace (very easy). Make sure you adjust the end about the same length as old so you can drive it to get it aligned. Good luck
I called the dealership close to me and ford no longer makes the one for the 2004 explore ext I have for it takes a 16mm one they could get me the 15mm or the 17 mm . I was thinking about putting 17 inch rims on it but that year will not have enough wheel room so that one is out .

Leave it up to ford to put a steering knuckle in the rear and the front
I actually have a 2005 Explorer w/16 inch rims. And I also need the so-called rear tie rod ends/toe compensator links, etc. What part exactly do I need to be looking for, & is a salvage yard where I need to be looking? Ordered a set of Rock Auto, but they arrived today, one severely bent. That's abt my luck! FFS, man!🤦

Back