• Register Today It's free!

Rear Tie Rod?

xTOM153x

Reaction score
City, State
West Islip Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
The picture below is a picture behind my rear driver side wheel. It has play left and right and is due to a bad from the looks of it a tie rod but I am not sure exactly what it is because I looked on rock auto and they don't have any "rear" outer tie rods. Just wondering what that part is that is circled in the orange. The thing that is circled in yellow is the rod that attaches to it and on the other end it looks like its connected to the frame right behind the spare tire for anyone that wants to check it out. So basically what I am asking is what is the part called that is circled in orange because I think it is a outer tie rod end. It's really banged up and if you put your hand on the whole rod and move back in forth there is a good amount of play in it. Also the boot around it is almost completely gone. Thanks

Tierod.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the 3rd gens (like at all, never worked on one)
But if I had to guess I would say it's more of a control arm with a ball joint.
Try looking up rear ball joint, I know Pontiac did rear ball joints on their Grand Prix's and Bonnevilles, perhaps Ford "adapted" :p

yea i checked into the rear ball joints but these ends screw into that rod so which is making me think its an outer tie rod but I dont wanna order an outer tie rod and find out its not it.

My Haynes manual says it's a toe link.

Forgot: Follow the link to the other end. It goes through the frame and has a nut on the other side. You might have a loose nut.

I'll check the other end but at the end the part that looks like an outer tie you can actually push it in and out.

Thanks for providing the name of the part. There are other posts pertaining to this and I am going to call my local Ford dealer about the part because I dont need the entire assembly and they want 117 for the whole thing according to silverstatefordparts.com.

Ford only sells the entire assembly. No one aftermarket sells this part.

I'll check the other end but at the end the part that looks like an outer tie you can actually push it in and out.
You're running into a problem similar to mine. Everything online is for a a truck w/17 inch wheels. I've not found a solution either! Please let me know if you did! Thnx

Back