Rear timing chain tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear timing chain tensioner

.50ae

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Ok so I got my explorer back from the shop and they were replacing the front timing chain guide because it broke. I'm trying to replace the rear tensioner so that it doesn't break and then the chain. I put the new one in there and it just blows oil like crazy. So I tried to put the old one back in there and it does the same thing now. Am I doing something wrong?? No matter how tight I get it, how centered I get the washer, it still leaks. The original didn't have a washer so I've tried the new one with and without it and it still leaks oil profusely.

The old tensioner must have had a washer or it would have been leaking too. You have to be very careful to get the washer on straight or it will leak. As the rear tensioner mounts on a vertical surface it's really easy to get the washer on wrong and ruin it. I find using some grease to hold the washer in place on the tensioner while it's tightened works well. The tensioner also has to be pretty tight to prevent it leaking (I want to say 60 foot pounds, but I'm not sure about that).

At this point you probably need a new washer to get it to stop leaking. Classic case of preventative maintenance going wrong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The old tensioner must have had a washer or it would have been leaking too. You have to be very careful to get the washer on straight or it will leak. As the rear tensioner mounts on a vertical surface it's really easy to get the washer on wrong and ruin it. I find using some grease to hold the washer in place on the tensioner while it's tightened works well. The tensioner also has to be pretty tight to prevent it leaking (I want to say 60 foot pounds, but I'm not sure about that).

At this point you probably need a new washer to get it to stop leaking. Classic case of preventative maintenance going wrong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
There was no washer on the original. The washer provided with the tensioner still looks fine I tried putting a little rtv on the whole thing and we'll see what happens.

Back