Rear vibrate and creaking noise @ braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear vibrate and creaking noise @ braking

Creator Steph

Reaction score
City, State
Sylvester, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Have a 2003 Explorer nicknamed "Ole Red". I got her from the original owners my Aunt and Uncle. When I first got it there was this creaking sound coming from the right rear when applying the brakes to stop. That's it just a creaking sound. Then I started to get a vibration in the rear when applying the brakes. Any idea what this is?

Is it the brakes and rotors? Or.............
I also get this creak/pop sound in the left front when going over a bump etc.

Any thoughts to point me in the right direction would be appreciated deeply thanks.

20230330_191430 (1).jpg

Nice looking vehicle. The rear noise might be loose parking brake pads that have broken loose, like when someone drives the car with the parking brake applied. The front noise could be ball joints, shocks, or springs. These vehicles are known for going through wheel bearings, but it doesn't sound like that's your issue. But once you jack it up, you just don't know what you'll find.

Welcome to the site.

Creaking noise is most likely dry bushings. Sway bar bushings are known for this, but control arm bushings are susceptible too. Vibration I tend to agree with @fordysenior about the brake pads.

Back