• Register Today It's free!

Rear Windshield Wiper

HarvDog

Reaction score
City, State
Montclair, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a 99 and everytime I replace the rear windshield wiper I have problems with it wiping the enitre rear windshield. The wiper blade simply doesn't stay against the windshield as it moves back and forth.

Anyone else experience this? If so, what can be done to correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of people experience that....In 98+, the window was made rounder than previous models, making the wiper skip parts. I think you can get a better spring for the wiper arm, or bend the arm so it hits the glass harder.

Let me know what you end up doing because I'm having the same problem on my 2000.

The first thing I tried was bending the actual wiper blade. After coming back from buying a new one (snapped in half), I decided to post this.

I think I'll try "CAREFULLY" bending the wiper arm first...

Bend the arm, not the blade. There are literally 100+ threads about this issue. There is an updated arm available at Ford. Search for Rear Wiper and you will see just how many times this has been discussed.

The solution is simple. The rear wiper arm is the problem; Ford issued a TSB on the issuel

Here is the TSB relationg to the situation:

TSB 15406 BACK GLASS WIPER SKIPS GLASS
APR 17, 2002

SOME 1998-2002 EXPLORER SPORT AND 1998-2001 EXPlORER/MOUNTAINEERS MAY
EXHIBIT A REAR WIPER THAT DOES NOT SUFFICIENTLY CLEAN THE BACK GLASS. TO
SERVICE, FIRST INSPECT FOR THE LETTERS 'AB' STAMPED ON THE WIPER ARM JUST
BELOW THE WIPER BLADE PIVOT PIN. IF THE LETTERS ARE NOT STAMPED ON THE ARM,
INSTALL NEW SERVICE ARM PART # XL2Z-17526-AA. NOTE: ENSURE THAT THE NEW
SERVICE ARM ASSEMBLY HAS THE LETTERS -AB' STAMPED ON ORIGINAL WIPERS WITH
'AB' STAMPED NEAR THE PIVOT PIN WERE REVISED TO APPLY MORE PRESSURE TO THE
BACK GLASS.

I orederd the replacement arm from Torre at Ford Parts Network. Here is what Torre wrote to me:

XL2Z-17526-AA $ 29.99

Freight $ 7.99

To order :

http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/store/main.html

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com

SCT Custom Chip / Flasher dealer

Dynojet WideBand Commander dealer

Wide Band Dyno tuning services now available

Dyno shop # 904-819-9637

Works like a champ. The following is a thread on the problem ....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122257&page=1&pp=20

I LOVE when people link my thread lol :D Update: still haven't fixed mine, didn't think it was that big of a deal but now with the snow and all it's a P.I.T.A :fire: it's sooo dirty on one side and clean on the other I'm really gonna try and get this fixed A.S.A.P.

No prob. :D

However, reading that thread I don't think my wiper blade is that bad. It will do a semi-circle but sometimes in the middle it will miss a patch.

Yeah...that's exactly what mine is doing.

I'll try to bend the arm a bit and if that doesn't work maybe I'll buy one of the replacements.

my 94 does the same thing. I have heard that the sping looses its tension over time.

Ryan

After a few trips to the car wash mine did this too - not the end of the world but looked like it was letting the side down.

So after the shop failed to fix I removed the interior trim (not easy and most fixings are a one shot affair) and examined the wiper mounting - clever but cheap!

I figured that as there seemed to be plenty of play in the wiper arm then the motor mount must have come loose. No, everything was tight but the motor mounting plate is a thin plate pressing and this had become distorted. A bit of strong arm on this and few trial and errors and the wiper swept the full screen again.

Bending arm and wiper also helped apply more pressure

Don't expect this to last too long the parts were designed to a price so will get out of shape again.

Take care with all this bending as at least its works to some extent now!

Just ordered the new wiper arm since my bending didn't do much of anything except scrape up the black paint on the existing arm. I'll let you know how it works once it arrives and is installed.

All the bending, wiggling, and hoping will not cure the situation ( or maybe temporally cure it ); you gotta get the new arm to do it right.

shave it........lol(actually im kicking myself now. the road grim and such. i have to get myself a sqeegy to keep in the truck so i can see out the back now)

96limitedX said:
shave it........lol(actually im kicking myself now. the road grim and such. i have to get myself a sqeegy to keep in the truck so i can see out the back now)

LOL, now you see why 99% of Explorers (except some rare 91's) have a wiper. the design oif the rear end actually creates a suction that lifts crud up there. When a tranny blows, the fluid ends up all over the gate. :eek:

Crankcase said:
When a tranny blows, the fluid ends up all over the gate. :eek:

That's for sure, and I speak from personal experience with that. :eek:

But with the dirt, mud, and salt. I sometimes end up cleaning my liftgate glass more than once a day, and I have to do it by hand because my rear wiper's motor decided to crap out, and it's not worth it to me to have someone charge me an arm and a leg to fix such a trifling thing on a 13 year old Explorer......and since i can't do it myself.....I'll just make sure I have stuff to keep the window clean in my truck :thumbsup:

i have to admit thos crank..the look was well worth it..lol love that clean shaven look. but it does suck with brake up and stuff.
103731.jpg

SoBeLover said:

and I have to do it by hand because my rear wiper's motor decided to crap out, and it's not worth it to me to have someone charge me an arm and a leg to fix such a trifling thing on a 13 year old Explorer..

Have you tried turning on the wiper and Yanking on it hard to force ti to move?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back