• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wiper Blade

jkexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I've recently installed the Bosch Icon wiper blades on the front windshield of the Ex. They are certainly doing a better job then the standard Trico wipers I had before. Was wondering if anyone has tried installing this type of a wiper (Bosch Icon or Trico Innovision) for the rear windshield and what has your experience been? Also did you stay with the standard 14" wiper or go for a larger size? Thanks for any info!!!

Jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The innovision blade on the back of my truck works just fine. Maybe al little better then the regular ones, but the blade are really designed for a curved window like a windshield.

i too installed the Bosch Icon blades on the front of my sport, they work very well.

i hope you dont mind me asking a wiper question in your thread as well, i certainly dont want to hijack your thread here.....

my problem is with my rear wiper. it only makes contact with the window on the last 8-10" of stroke. so the 1st 3/4 of the window doesnt even get touched. theres plenty of spring in the arm but why its not pushed towards the window more is beyond me. im wondering if somone(previous owner) replaced the wiper arm/blade piece altogether to an aftermarket low profile arm or somthing. mabey somone with more experience here can add some insight......

No problem. If you do a search on rear wiper blades you'll find tons of material on this forum dealing with rear wiper problems and various resolutions.

1bad98sport said:
my problem is with my rear wiper. it only makes contact with the window on the last 8-10" of stroke. so the 1st 3/4 of the window doesnt even get touched. theres plenty of spring in the arm but why its not pushed towards the window more is beyond me. im wondering if somone(previous owner) replaced the wiper arm/blade piece altogether to an aftermarket low profile arm or somthing. mabey somone with more experience here can add some insight......

Do a search, and you'll find a lot of discussion about this. I had this problem which is basicly a design flaw. I bought the Ford replacement arm and all is well for clean sweeping.

I had the replacement arm installed under warranty. It worked for about 3 months and started missing again. I modified the arm, and all is well again. If you have a dremel, it takes all of 10 minutes to do.

444869.jpg

When you flip the rear arm off the window, there are two fingers that limit the travel of the arm. (WHY??? I have no idea!) Grind the tips of those two little fingers off about 1/8"-3/16" shorter. It'll never miss a beat after that.

IIRC, I've been running a 18" blade on mine since it was almost new (ditto for the fronts). That could be part of the reason I'm on my 3rd rear wiper motor, but it's worth it IMHO.

-Joe

I've recently followed gijoecam's advice from a previous posting on grinding down the "limit fingers" or stops as illustrated above. Worked nicely for me. Thanks for the writeup.

Jerry

LOL I don't recall actually doing a write-up, but I know I've posted the advice on here numerous times.

Maybe I should do that....

-Joe

Maybe a write-up is the wrong word. It was a posting describing what you did with an illustration. Ultimately there was sufficient information there to follow your suggestion with positive results.

Thanks again,

Jerry

great info, i did the dremel trick with excellent results. much appreciated!

Back