Rear wiper SOMETIMES does not wipe or just goes part way | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper SOMETIMES does not wipe or just goes part way

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My 2001 XLT V-6, 150,000 miles just started having an intermittent rear wiper problem.

If I turn the switch to the slowest intermittent speed, it will:
- wipe normally
OR
- wipe about 4 inches and fall back down
OR
- do nothing

Most of the time, if it goes 4" or does nothing, if I move the switch to full speed, it works.

I've done some searching here (no one seemed to have my EXACT symptoms) and see some possible explanations:
- rear wiper motor
- wiper control switch
- relay

Could there been some ice stuck in the wiper arm somewhere ?
Suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check to make sure the nut that holds the arm on the motor shaft is tight.

I assume that nut is located within the rear hatch ? (I've been in there before for the rear latch handle).

I was hoping maybe it was located on the arm itself/outside the rear hatch.

I assume that nut is located within the rear hatch ? (I've been in there before for the rear latch handle).

I was hoping maybe it was located on the arm itself/outside the rear hatch.

No, the nut is under the black plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm. the cover snaps up/off to access the nut (which i believe is a 13mm).

No, the nut is under the black plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm. the cover snaps up/off to access the nut (which i believe is a 13mm).

Does that entire cover pop off ? Or just swing up ? I did not look really close, but did not notice any obvious 'tabs' or anything to work with.

Does that entire cover pop off ? Or just swing up ? I did not look really close, but did not notice any obvious 'tabs' or anything to work with.
Tabs are under the cover, it "swings" out, see below:

2007-07-13_152728_rear_pivot_arm.gif

Tabs are under the cover, it "swings" out, see below:

2007-07-13_152728_rear_pivot_arm.gif

the plastic cover can be removed once you swing it up, but if all you're trying to do is access the nut it's not necessary to remove it.

If it ends up not being mechanical, check the wires that go from the vehuicle to the hatch and see if there is any water getting in there.

the plastic cover can be removed once you swing it up, but if all you're trying to do is access the nut it's not necessary to remove it.

Thanks for the picture. I popped the cover up and found that the nut was tight. I going to keep track of how often this is an issue and probably check the switch next ............ depends on if something else gets me into the rear hatch sooner.

I did notice what seemed to me like a fair amount of slop/play in the way the overall arm/surrounding grommet is mounted to the rear hatch. Its not like its about to fall off, but its nowhere near as solid as a windhshield wiper (perhaps a bad analogy).

similar issue but only on very cold mornings have replaced the wiper the arm and the motor and bushings several times with new parts, when below freezing will jerk or part way wipe

Thanks for the picture. I popped the cover up and found that the nut was tight. I going to keep track of how often this is an issue and probably check the switch next ............ depends on if something else gets me into the rear hatch sooner.

I did notice what seemed to me like a fair amount of slop/play in the way the overall arm/surrounding grommet is mounted to the rear hatch. Its not like its about to fall off, but its nowhere near as solid as a windhshield wiper (perhaps a bad analogy).

the rear wiper motor is mounted on 3 rubber grommets and it does move around a lot. this can cause problems with the blade not contacting the glass in the center of it's sweep. but shouldn't prohibit the arm from moving. if you need a wiper switch i have several spares.

its never gonna clear your window anyway...lmao......such a crap design .
the only ones that work worth a dam are the ones that park right on the window itself .

its never gonna clear your window anyway...lmao......such a crap design .
the only ones that work worth a dam are the ones that park right on the window itself .

can't argue with you there. it is a terrible design.

..... if you need a wiper switch i have several spares.

Thanks for the offer.

I'm going to monitor this for awhile ........... seems to be working all the time lately. We've got some more cold temps coming, so will see if that has an affect (it seems to).

I will get in touch if I decide to replace it. Thanks.

Back