Rear Wipers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wipers

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys

This morning when I woke up and turned on my SUV Rear Wipers they werent coming on at all nor was the washer spray. Vehicle was parked in garage and its been really windy out here in Canada and its cold outside as well as i started driving and vehicle warmed up a bit they came on with no issues and everything is working.

I have a question can it be a weather related issue?

Never seen this before in my life I shut off the suv waited 15 min got back in and wipers for rear are still working

Maybe its just a fluke or strong winds mixed wit cold weather might of got something stuck or triggered.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How cold was it? I would say you are right that it is weather related...

Its currently outside 32F its very Windy and COLD
It just really puzzles me tho never had this issue at all wipers worked great last night as well.

I hope its nothing serious hoping its just weather related

Hey Guys

I have a question can it be a weather related issue?

Thank you

Yes, could be related to the cold temps and high winds. The rear wiper blade arm may have frozen up a bit and the tubing for the rear washer fluid could have frozen up as well if you are not using full strength windshield washer fluid. In winter, always use full strength washer fluid. In summer, you can dilute it with tap water. You could also have an issue forming with your multi-function switch/turn signal switch on your steering column. The contacts inside of it could be dirty or going bad/worn out. If it happens again when the temps are well above freezing then look at the multi-function switch.

Hey buddy just tried using my rear wiper and its not working at all tried 1st level 2nd level nothing at all front one work with no trouble.

I am using the good washer fluid made for winter

Went outside to see if I can hear any noise coming from the back rear wipers nothing at all
I hope its just a fuse issue

Went outside to see if I can hear any noise coming from the back rear wipers nothing at all
I hope its just a fuse issue

If the fuse for the rear wiper is bad or blown, it wouldn't work once and a while. With a blown fuse, it wouldn't work at all. Since the rear wiper arm/motor and rear window washer work off of the same Multi-function switch on your steering column and both had quit working at the same time before and then started working again for a day or so, then I would look at the multi-function switch as a starting point for the problem.

There has been mention of the tilt steering wheel putting too much pressure on the connector for the multifunction switch causing a loose connection. Try putting the steering wheel in the full up position.

Here is my write-up on changing the multifunction switch: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=279556

You can use it for gaining access to the connector so you can check and make sure it is not loose.

Could be the wiper motor itself, or the relay for the rear wiper. The relay info is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :biggthump

Hey buddy we checked the fuse rear wiper and it was not a issue it's the weirdest thing soon as vehicle is warmed up it gets on.

I will check my steering but just a hands up my left turn right turn front wiper all the other accessories on it work perfectly fine that's what blows my mind.
We checked owners manual my buddy didn't see anything about the relay?

Where is it under the hood?

Thanks bro

Here is some info from my '02 owner's manual.

I apologize for the size of the pics but I wanted you to be able to see them.

There are 2 fuses related to the wipers/washers in the fuse panel located in the passenger compartment. #8 is a 30A Fuse for the front & rear washer relays and the front wiper control. #9 is a 15A Fuse for the rear wiper coil and contact:

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Relays 1-7 are located on the back side of the fuse panel. Relay #6 is for the rear washer pump. It is a PITA to get to these. The manual says to remove the fuse panel for access.

There is a relay related to the wipers in the rear relay box located on the rear quarter side passenger trim panel. To access this box you must remove the trim panel. #17 is the rear wipers relay:

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Hey Bro,

Thanks for showing me this I read thru my owners manual and ive seen half of what your showing me so what should I check then

I checked Relay 9 15a and it was fine

I think your SUV and mine are totally different
Mines a 2003 ford explorer limited 4.6 v8

I read the online booklet your fuses and mine are totally different? Weird

I think your SUV and mine are totally different
Mines a 2003 ford explorer limited 4.6 v8

I read the online booklet your fuses and mine are totally different? Weird

I have a 2002 XLT. I figured there was a chance that they would be different. I'm gonna see if I can post up a wiring diagram for you.

Here you go. It looks like in late '02 and later models the rear wiper & rear washer relays are part of the rear wiper motor assembly:

RearWipers-Late02andLater.jpg

Hope this helps out. :thumbsup:

What would you recommend BigRondo replacing the Relay? Where can I get one or should I try reseating it?

FUSE 30 20A

What would you recommend BigRondo replacing the Relay? Where can I get one or should I try reseating it?

FUSE 30 20A

Check my diagram, it looks as though the relay is part of the motor. I don't know if it is field replaceable.

I have the shop manuals for the '02. I'm going to check and see if I can give you some troubleshooting ideas.

Here is a link for the troubleshooting procedures on the '02. I don't know if this will be relevant to your '03 but it should point you in the right direction: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14896126/2002-Explorer-Wiper-and-Washer-System-Diagnosis

I checked my Owners Manual shows the Rear Wiper Motor has a relay its # 30
I havent checked it yet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked my Owners Manual shows the Rear Wiper Motor has a relay its # 30
I havent checked it yet

I would check that relay for sure. When I was troubleshooting my front wipers I replaced the High/Low & Park/Run relays. I got them at NAPA for about $8 a piece.

Back