Reason why you might here rubbing under your explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reason why you might here rubbing under your explorer

JusTheUsual

Reaction score
City, State
Central NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
I had to post this because many people hear sounds under their explorer and think its the rear end or other things.

Your gas tank has a big black rubber piece on top of it. Mine was barely holding on but with that white tiny plastic tab and every time I turned left I would hear rubbing and other noises. so I can see why people would guess the rear end when you find nothing rubbing. The plastic piece would shift and rub against the driveshaft. sometimes it stayed rubbing even going straight then go back. I had to cut half of it off then pull it out.

I would go under truck and find nothing rubbing. But my last time I went under it stayed shifted against driveshaft and got lucky catching it that time seeing it. Any other time I wouldn't see it because it shifted back in place

Tricky to figure out. So grab yours and if it moves you found the problem. It shifts back and forth, sometimes rubbing some times not but 75% of the time when I turned left I would hear that noise and start thinking my rear end(differential) is going.

Back