Rebuild or buy rebuilt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuild or buy rebuilt?

Reaction score
City, State
South Plainfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
`92 XLT
Hey guys, My trans has crapped out on me...drive is fine..I have every gear including od. But there is no reverse. I pulled the pan, full of metal, i guess the reverse drum is shot....now should i rebuild it......should someone else rebuild it.....if so who......or should i buy a rebuilt. I have the trans on the floor next to my truck, and im having a horrible time finding someone who will warranty it if i put it in myself. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much money, time, tools, tranny skills, and alternate transportation do you have?

to be honest, anymore the only rebuilt I have any confidence in is the FORD remanufactured ones....pricey...but waranteed.... everyone else seems to be a crapshoot. This trannie needs TLC and hard parts on the rebuild to last. Most rebuilders don't get it. My humble opinion.

You can do a really quality rebuild yourself. You'll be into it a grand.

At our shop we put in remanufactored engines and trannys from Jasper. They are warrantied for like 3 yeras/75,000 miles. Check them out. Not too pricey.....but its the labor that cost.

-Drew

i did a rebuild on mine.... clutch pack burnt up so i lost third gear..... got a master rebuild kit on ebay for 75 bucks and a new drum... just to be safe.... and totally rebuilt the whole thing myself......if you can get it out of the truck and are comfortable with doing that ... then you can def rebuild.... Make sure you have a clean place to work and label stuff as it comes out and keep it in line as it comes out... kindof like a big blowup of a blueprint you would see in a book....

A couple things to make sure you ahve
A. Snap Ring Pliers (SECOND MOST USED TOOL)
B. C-clamps.... can be used to mimic special tools...you have to get creative though
C. A Dentist Pick..... (THE MOST USED TOOL IN MY REBUILD)
D. lint free towels.... from fastenal
E. A manual
F. Patience...Patience....Patience
G. You might want to see if you can buy a new front pump for your trans off ebay.... about 60 bucks prob.... you MUST have special tools to take the old one apart which you probably should do cause you have metal all over.... i didnt have metal so i just reused it and the torqe converter....
H. A new or rebuilt torque converter unless you can somehow flush it to get all the loose metal out of it and the cooling system in the radiator....
I. A master rebuild kit and update kit.... should be able to find these on Ebay or go talk to your local trans store... they should sell them to you or order them for you ....

With a few short ratchets.... oil and filters and when all was said and done i had about 200 bucks in my rebuild.... still going strong 5k miles later and i tow with it all the time....

yea I was wondering if jasper had a warantty if i put the trans in myself, the old one is sitting on the floor next to my ex..ive herard a lot of places wont warranty a self install

check the "My A4LD rebuild diary" for complete step by step pics of a teardown and rebuild - with every possible mod included...

G. You might want to see if you can buy a new front pump for your trans off ebay.... about 60 bucks prob.... you MUST have special tools to take the old one apart which you probably should do cause you have metal all over.... i didnt have metal so i just reused it and the torqe converter...

since when must you have a special tool to take the pump apart?????????Ive done a whole lot of ford trannys and never had to have a special tool to pull a pump apart you SHOULD have a pump alignment tool for going back together but it CAN be done with out one ive got 26000 miles of proof sitting in my driveway and lots of other cars running around town too i get my parts from ATC 18006333340 ext 267 brian greg my whole 4r55e rebuild cost me 286.00 this includes a new hd torque convertor its worth a shot if you want to try and they have the rebuild books for 15.00 plus tax

Back